The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in His

Post by monkey man »

Phil O wrote:Same to you, mate. Hope you have a much better 2018!
Philippe
Thank you, Phil!
cuttime wrote:I just watched "War for the Planet of the Apes" last night and there was some poo-slinging going on and I thought about you, MM. Happy 2018!
So... when you think of poo, you think of me. Comforting to know, mate. :lol:

Glad you hadn't forgotten about lil' ol' me, man. I'm like a bad smell that just won't die... :wink:
bayswater wrote:Good to see you here rather than the other place you were lurking for a bit. Hope the new year hears more from you.
Hey Stoivo, I restricted myself to "safe" posting where I didn't have to think too hard or set myself up for flaming. Thankfully there's a ridiculous number of topics always at hand so at least the choice factor's pretty-attractive. Hang on... pretty is attractive...

That's one of the things about these NBD's - everything becomes too-intense, even navigating the 'puter, let alone the 'net, was too much to handle most of the time. Much better now, but still not quite there yet. Have yet to rejoin the Kemper forum after a couple o' months' break. Apparently I've been missed by some. Who'd a thunk it?

It was great to touch base with you over at BeerGutz, matey; always a pleasure and honour, and thank you for chiming in man.
mikehalloran wrote:Image
Yeah Mike, good call. I got's ta leap into the new year... and life, to an extent.
FMiguelez wrote: Nicky!!!
How are you, my friend! Great to see you again 'round these parts :)

The other day I thought of you. I was doing some research about Australia. BTW, I almost fell pray to one of those fake "Australian visas" companies that supposedly help you get your papers in order to be able to move there :roll:

It's in my plans to leave this sheit hole of a "country" once and for all in the next several years. Naturally, Australia seems breathtakingly gorgeous in almost every aspect. Canada, England, or even the USA are my other candidates, but Australia seems lovlier the more I read about it.
When I retire, it's my dream to set up some kind of animal-friendly farm (no animal killing) and live completely off the grid as naturally as possible, and devote the rest of my life to really understanding the secrets of our universe (books and an internet connection is all I need) :D

Perhaps we'll meet one day down under there...
Take care, Nicky. See you around.

How's that for off-topic? :)
'Nandito!

Hey man, secrets of the universe, design, origins... and friggin' diet and health - they're my things, bud. Huge subjects that involve too much typing to be practical to discuss via text, but if you move down under, it's a date, brah!

I feel for you up there. Every time I think of poo... oh no - that's what prompts folks to think of me... I mean, of Mexico, I think of your situation and how, deep down, you've been so-unhappy about where things have headed there and that you just want to get the Hell out of Dodge.

My cousin's living off the grid less than an hour out of Melbourne (where I am), and he's been loving it. I could hook you up with him for tips if you like when the time comes.

Hang in there, brother, and don't ever lose that passion, that fire in your belly that I know you have so much of.

OK, thank you so much, guys. Miraculously, I was able to log in just now even 'though my VPN's active. I wonder if James forgot to run the site's filter or if he's decided to suspend its use for a while. Either way, it's the first time I've been able to log in with the filter on in years. Typically, I'd have responded to you guys in a week or three, depending on when I could find a window when the VPN was off (usually after a rare computer restart), so I'm grateful that I could at least jump right onto this and express my gratitude to you all for your never-ending support and friendship. You rock so hard it's insane.

Thank you so very much again, fellas, and take care now! :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

monkey man wrote:You guys are the best, and my MOTUnation family will forever remain dear to my heart; had you not known this, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves considering how many times I've repeated and professed my love for you! LOL

So, bottom line, I love you, I miss you, thank you, and may you all have a wonderful New Year's period and a fruitful-and-fulfilling 2018!
Just doing a little topic-police work on the side, and this does not qualify as adequately "off-topic" in my book. I believe there are protocols for responding in an off-topic thread with something "on-topic" but I don't presently recall what they were. Perhaps ask a moderator... :unicorn:

Meanwhile - SO GLAD you are emerging from the murk and mire of down-ville and are rising like a phoenix from the ashes to once again CREATE and provide the universe with more splendor (which it needs). Please feed it back with wonder and joy at every possible opportunity.

Happy New Year (to everyone, in fact), and keep on keeping on! :-)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Terry, my dear policeman, the title of the thread deems it be inconsistently-off-topic, so IMHO it is indeed within the rules to post on-topic musings in bursts of varying lengths. No moderator required thanks to the incontestable parameters laid down therein.

How're ya goin', mate?

I figured James must've reinstated the spam filter as I've been unable to log in again (tried every day this week) until now, when miraculously, it worked again.

I've made a note of the port my VPN "randomly" chose in the hope that in a pinch I can specify it be used in an emergency one day; after all, it's worked again today, so unless the filter's faulty, it would seem the site occasionally allows me to use it. I know next to nothing about networks, so who knows?

Now that I've unexpectedly been able to log in, I don't know what to say, except that it feels great to be here. :lol:

wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

All the best in the new year MM.
Enjoy the weather down there its bloody cold here in Toronto.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thank you, Mr. Coyote! Same to you, mate.

Yeah, it's freakin' cold down in the States too, it seems. So many folks who've never seen snow before have it in spades... er... shovels, now. :woohoo:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Terry, my dear policeman, the title of the thread deems it be inconsistently-off-topic, so IMHO it is indeed within the rules to post on-topic musings in bursts of varying lengths. No moderator required thanks to the incontestable parameters laid down therein.
The only time we'd be on topic is if we discuss "The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History". Terry was doing just that, and was on topic, and therefore, off topic. This point, on the other hand, is off topic and is therefore, on topic. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel%27s ... s_theorems
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

And tell me Nick. What about your cousin Guido? Eh? Is he off topic too? He's such a good boy.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I spent some time hanging out at TGP (The Gear Page), and found that was an enormous mistake.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote:Terry, my dear policeman, the title of the thread deems it be inconsistently-off-topic, so IMHO it is indeed within the rules to post on-topic musings in bursts of varying lengths. No moderator required thanks to the incontestable parameters laid down therein.
The only time we'd be on topic is if we discuss "The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History". Terry was doing just that, and was on topic, and therefore, off topic. This point, on the other hand, is off topic and is therefore, on topic. More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel%27s ... s_theorems
The link you provided is, ironically, incomplete; it takes us to the page for the letter "G".

You therefore fulfilled the requirement of being occasionally-off-topic, Stoivo. In fact, you went one better than that by being inadvertently-and-unintentionally-occasionally-off-topic, quite an achievement, I'd say.
Phil O wrote:And tell me Nick. What about your cousin Guido? Eh? Is he off topic too? He's such a good boy.
He's off-topic unless already under discussion, I reckon, Phil-O-Buster.
Gravity Jim wrote:I spent some time hanging out at TGP (The Gear Page), and found that was an enormous mistake.
I joined a while back and think I've only made one post there to date, Jim. IIRC, I actually begged everyone to go easy on me for having a glowing opinion of the Kemper, taking advantage of, I hoped, a little "first-post" leeway.

I think I can relate to what you might've encountered there.

Speaking of artichokes, is it true that they make you fart? Never tried 'em (!) but an alcoholic up the street insists I'm thinking of cabbage, but I'm not. Everyone knows about cabbage; it rates #1 in my most-powerful-food list, after all.

So, do artful smokes produce snarks?

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

"Many parts are edible." - Euell Gibbons
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: The link you provided is, ironically, incomplete; it takes us to the page for the letter "G".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel%27s ... s_theorems

You therefore fulfilled the requirement of being occasionally-off-topic, Stoivo. In fact, you went one better than that by being inadvertently-and-unintentionally-occasionally-off-topic, quite an achievement, I'd say.
A bug in PHPbb. It can't handle the "o" with the dots. If you leave out the dots, it still works. But the letter G can be useful too. It's how I get to the MIDI editor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godel%27s ... s_theorems
billf

Post by billf »

monkey man wrote:fruitful-and-fulfilling 2018!
Hey there Nicky, great to see your postings again! I hope you are well. BTW, I have heard that banana pie is fruitful and filling. As such, it is a big favorite at all monkey parties.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Hey Billy, great to see you brother. You yet again reveal your deep knowledge and understanding of all things simian with your wise words. I take it as a given that you took out the 2017 (and '16?) "E-Steamed Grand Poobah of Pooparazzi™ Award". Your uncanny ability to step... I mean, stoop... I mean, snoop into all things MonkeyLabs™, related pooducts and services and affiliated persons such as Paris, knows no bowels... I mean, bounds.

Hope you're well, matey.

Stoivo, where do you get off posting that low-brow Wiki link, mate? Geez... :lol:

Sir Markus, it seems you're in a dangerous-livin' phase if your appearance at BeerGutz is anything to go by. Relieved to see you played it safe with an uncontroversial, sufficiently-off-topic quote.

Oh, and you might want to check your friend requests at BeerGutz. We all need buddies over there after all. Hope you're doing well mate.

Anyway, so there I was up to my eyeballs in fire ants when I accidentally discovered that if I threw myself into a barrel of ethyl alcohol the annoying little critters actually let go of me. Pussies. What's the natural world coming to? :roll:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Stoivo, where do you get off posting that low-brow Wiki link, mate? Geez... :lol:
Sorry, was it on topic?
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

No. Wuddun, mate. :headbang: