The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in History

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
kassonica
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Longest, Most Inconsistently-Off-Topic Thread in His

Post by kassonica »

monkey man wrote:Can't go wrong there, Mark. Now I understand; thanks mate.

Just for beer and skittles, I reckon it'd be interesting to compare the AVB's converters with the Lynx's.

OK, a quick wrestle with the Google Machine™ yielded this, probably-most-obvios page:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/avbtestimonials/quotes

Comparisons with Apogee, Universal Audio, a Sig-modded 002 and a Lynx Aurora...

There are many, more in-depth comparisons at the thread I pointed to earlier - here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... rface.html

I totally get it that you're happy with what you've got, and that's awesome, Mark. As I said, just for beer and skittles. Who knows, it might just be handy to at least be aware of the sort of quality MOTU's now offering; the price : performance ratio is off the charts and easily the best out there IMHO.
You maybe right MM, but due to past experience with their converters, I think it's safe to say I won't be going back to using anytime soon...

Ps not that they were really bad, but I'm used to PRO converters now..

There is maybe a reason motu converters are not found in many top end studios and mainly found in home studio's.

RME is a better option and have better written drivers as well IMHO
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

kassonica wrote:
monkey man wrote:Can't go wrong there, Mark. Now I understand; thanks mate.

Just for beer and skittles, I reckon it'd be interesting to compare the AVB's converters with the Lynx's.

OK, a quick wrestle with the Google Machine™ yielded this, probably-most-obvios page:

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/avbtestimonials/quotes

Comparisons with Apogee, Universal Audio, a Sig-modded 002 and a Lynx Aurora...

There are many, more in-depth comparisons at the thread I pointed to earlier - here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... rface.html

I totally get it that you're happy with what you've got, and that's awesome, Mark. As I said, just for beer and skittles. Who knows, it might just be handy to at least be aware of the sort of quality MOTU's now offering; the price : performance ratio is off the charts and easily the best out there IMHO.
You maybe right MM, but due to past experience with their converters, I think it's safe to say I won't be going back to using anytime soon...
MOTU's previous offerings are, in this case, 100% irrelevant, Mark. The usual past-performance considerations do not apply this time.
kassonica wrote:Ps not that they were really bad, but I'm used to PRO converters now..
... and that's what they are now. You can't get more "pro" without going esoteric and spending thousands more, for no discernible gains in the real world. These things are about as transparent as we could hope for. EMRR posted loop-back test results (graphs) that show extraordinary transparency - better than the usual suspects who's names escape me as the results were posted 50 or more pages back in the thread I've been following. If EMRR (Doug) sees this, he might chime in 'cause he's all over these things.
kassonica wrote:There is maybe a reason motu converters are not found in many top end studios and mainly found in home studio's.
Yeah, there was. It no longer applies now. In fact, "experts" have speculum-titty-lactated that MOTU's done an incredible job of integrating the converter chips into the units. It apparently isn't just the chips you use, but the implementation's electronic design.
kassonica wrote:RME is a better option and have better written drivers as well IMHO
The drivers are a whole new deal as well. MOTU's been listening and responding to customer feedback in what is for it an unprecedented manner - timely and transparently. I don't know how the driver thing works now 'cause the updates have all been firmware that's uploaded to one's interfaces via the network-based app. It's AVB, so all your interfaces sit in a network that's accessible from Safari, your iPhone or tablet or whatever.

Sorry I took so long to respond; logging in here is rare for me these days due to my vpn usage and this winter's proving to be particularly tough, along with the year so far.

Hope you're OK Brother Markus!
Nicky

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Yikes! The thread's over 9 years old now, but it's my age that I'm posting about:

50 today (9/11). Yay! :headbang:

My heart always goes out to my American brothers and sisters on this very-sad day. My thoughts are with you guys.

On a brighter note, I expected to wake up feeling more-mature-and-intelligent somehow, but nooo, I'm still the same ol' punk with toilet water behind his ears. Oh well, you can't have everything... or nothing, as the case may be. :lol:

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's happy birthday to you then!
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

monkey man wrote:Yikes! The thread's over 9 years old now, but it's my age that I'm posting about:

50 today (9/11). Yay! :headbang:

My heart always goes out to my American brothers and sisters on this very-sad day. My thoughts are with you guys.

On a brighter note, I expected to wake up feeling more-mature-and-intelligent somehow, but nooo, I'm still the same ol' punk with toilet water behind his ears. Oh well, you can't have everything... or nothing, as the case may be. :lol:
Have a great year - the "feeling more-mature-and-intelligent" part hits in a few weeks - there is a lag due to the latency brought about from "old age"! :)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

A fine birthday, I'm wishing in your general direction, Monkey Man.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

MM-If you lose your glasses, no worries. If you lose your glasses and you don't wear glasses, well...
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

50?? You're still a baby, with another 50 to go...at least. 8)

Happy BD, mate.

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Stoivo, Terry, Shoosh, cuttime and Phil, thank you so much for your well wishes!

I haven't responded 'til now 'cause it ended up being a disaster. I had a nervous breakdown as a result (and lost 5 kilos, which is ridiculous at my weight), and let's just say that this was the first Christmas where I wasn't in contact with my dad and step mom.

I've carried your well-intentioned wishes with me all this time and have made it a priority to respond as soon as I felt up to it. With NYE looming, and knowing I'll be spending it alone yet again, I figured I ought to jump on this lest the aforementioned "celebration" yield unintended-and-protracted consequences.

You guys are the best, and my MOTUnation family will forever remain dear to my heart; had you not known this, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves considering how many times I've repeated and professed my love for you! LOL

So, bottom line, I love you, I miss you, thank you, and may you all have a wonderful New Year's period and a fruitful-and-fulfilling 2018!

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Same to you, mate. Hope you have a much better 2018!

Philippe
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just watched "War for the Planet of the Apes" last night and there was some poo-slinging going on and I thought about you, MM. Happy 2018!
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Good to see you here rather than the other place you were lurking for a bit. Hope the new year hears more from you.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

monkey man wrote:Stoivo, Terry, Shoosh, cuttime and Phil, thank you so much for your well wishes!

I haven't responded 'til now 'cause it ended up being a disaster. I had a nervous breakdown as a result (and lost 5 kilos, which is ridiculous at my weight), and let's just say that this was the first Christmas where I wasn't in contact with my dad and step mom.

I've carried your well-intentioned wishes with me all this time and have made it a priority to respond as soon as I felt up to it. With NYE looming, and knowing I'll be spending it alone yet again, I figured I ought to jump on this lest the aforementioned "celebration" yield unintended-and-protracted consequences.

You guys are the best, and my MOTUnation family will forever remain dear to my heart; had you not known this, you ought to be ashamed of yourselves considering how many times I've repeated and professed my love for you! LOL

So, bottom line, I love you, I miss you, thank you, and may you all have a wonderful New Year's period and a fruitful-and-fulfilling 2018!
Nicky!!!
How are you, my friend! Great to see you again 'round these parts :)

The other day I thought of you. I was doing some research about Australia. BTW, I almost fell pray to one of those fake "Australian visas" companies that supposedly help you get your papers in order to be able to move there :roll:

It's in my plans to leave this sheit hole of a "country" once and for all in the next several years. Naturally, Australia seems breathtakingly gorgeous in almost every aspect. Canada, England, or even the USA are my other candidates, but Australia seems lovlier the more I read about it.
When I retire, it's my dream to set up some kind of animal-friendly farm (no animal killing) and live completely off the grid as naturally as possible, and devote the rest of my life to really understanding the secrets of our universe (books and an internet connection is all I need) :D

Perhaps we'll meet one day down under there...
Take care, Nicky. See you around.

How's that for off-topic? :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Happy very-belated B-Day to you MM, and here's to a fantastic 2018 for us all!

PS: What's the favorite method of ringing in the New Year... Ring Modulation, FM (which I guess is really just a more controlled form of Ring Mod), Champagne, or ?

I'll be playing live at a dive with an amazing band. Couldn't be better! :arrrr: