Opinions on ergonomic studio chairs, anyone?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Kubi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Opinions on ergonomic studio chairs, anyone?

Post by Kubi »

Tried a whole bunch of different ones a few years ago and ended up with the Aeron. One of the best investments I have made yet.

Def buy only from licensed dealer, bc the absolutely insanely awesome warranty (full replacement of anything broken for fifteen years or so) otherwise doesn't apply.
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've been through this unfortunate series of events before: buying a more featured ergo chair, but my legs fall asleep. Try all kinds of adjustments but can't find the "sweet spot". Go back to this crappy old office chair because it never gives me problems.

I'd really rather to go a brick & mortar place, have them get me the right size, features, warranty, etc. Maybe be able to exchange it if it doesn't feel good. But that does cost the bucks.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:I'd really rather to go a brick & mortar place, have them get me the right size, features, warranty, etc. Maybe be able to exchange it if it doesn't feel good. But that does cost the bucks.
There are a few authorized dealers in this city on the edge of the known world, so I have to assume they are everywhere. When I ordered, chairs were available in the store to try out.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
billf

Post by billf »

stubbsonic wrote:I've been through this unfortunate series of events before: buying a more featured ergo chair, but my legs fall asleep. Try all kinds of adjustments but can't find the "sweet spot". Go back to this crappy old office chair because it never gives me problems.
That can definitely be a problem because ergo chairs can take some getting used to, but also if they aren't sized right for you it can never feel comfortable. It is a good idea to go into an authorized dealer and have them work with you to find the right chair, size, and settings.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, all. Yea. I think I will do that.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Yeah, a real dealer, and I don't mean Wal-Mart or Staples.

For example, I think there are 3 different sizes of Aeron Chairs, plus 2 sizes of the Aeron Work Stool, but you'd never guess that from looking at those "Aeron Chair Sales" you see now and then. Best to go to a reputable dealer.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
groove

Post by groove »

As other said, definitively go with an official Herman Miller reseller. Verify on their website for a showroom.
Test the chair, take your time, it's worth it.

I have an Aeron I bought 15 years ago and recently I was at an HM showroom to order another one but the rep also showed me the Embody and Mirra 2 - not the Mirra 1. I tested the 3 chairs in all configurations and positions possible for about an hour. They are all about the same price.

For an obscur reason and because everybody is different, I wasn't able to find a confortable position in the Embody but the Mirra 2 was perfect and has better customization than the old Aeron. I ordered a Mirra 2 as well as a SAYL chair to replace an old chair bought at Staples. Herman Miller's sale pitch them as "the Aeron for the XXI century."

Might worth have a look.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Mr. G. Will make a note of that. Also thanks for the tip about an official retailer.

I'm pretty sure there is one in my area, as there were lots of them where I worked, and a retailer who actually came out to our business to set up, check in, etc.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

groove wrote:As other said, definitively go with an official Herman Miller reseller. Verify on their website for a showroom.
Test the chair, take your time, it's worth it.

I have an Aeron I bought 15 years ago and recently I was at an HM showroom to order another one but the rep also showed me the Embody and Mirra 2 - not the Mirra 1. I tested the 3 chairs in all configurations and positions possible for about an hour. They are all about the same price.

For an obscur reason and because everybody is different, I wasn't able to find a confortable position in the Embody but the Mirra 2 was perfect and has better customization than the old Aeron. I ordered a Mirra 2 as well as a SAYL chair to replace an old chair bought at Staples. Herman Miller's sale pitch them as "the Aeron for the XXI century."

Might worth have a look.
I'll look into the Mirra 2. That sounds interesting.

As for the Embody, I bought it for my wife, more or less on faith that it looked like it would be good for her back. She needs that kind of support. It took me a while to learn the controls of it, and how to get them cross-referenced for the right fit, then I had to do the same for her. It's the first chair she's had in her life that does not cause problems, and in fact it seems to prevent the soreness she used to get from sitting. It has dozens of articulated pieces, all connected to other articulated pieces, all of which support her even as she moves and changes positions. That said, I realize that it may not be for everyone, but if you have back problems, you should spend a good hour in an Embody chair learning the controls before you decide.

Meanwhile, the Mirra 2 has raised my interest. Unless it comes in a work-stool configuration I can't get it for my work station, but I'd like to try it anyway for other uses.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I went to a "better back" store and tried out some chairs. They had the Aeron which I tried. It was ok. I got the impression that the design of these chairs balances comfort, engineering cleverness, aesthetics and some adjustability. However, the shop owner was VERY knowledgable about ergonomics and chairs. She hinted that HM might not be prioritizing some basic features of a good ergo chair.

I also tried a chair by Soma (a CA company) that was more adjustable and more comfortable-- also the arms were easily adjusted and easily removed (for guitar playing, etc). They only carry one model from that company, which is really nice and very adjustable. But there was a minor issue with fit for me. My bottom went slightly past the back of the seat pad, enough to make it a deal-breaker.

Ultimately, my favorite chair was made by a Canadian company called Lifeform. It was an EXPENSIVE chair, and I never would have considered such lavish purchase, but as someone who works on my ass this much, it seemed like a good investment. The stuff I learned from the owner was also quite valuable.

1. Start with your arms. Set the height of the arm-rests to support the weight of your arms under the elbows & forearms and close to the body. Set the height of the chair so that forearms are level with the keyboard and mouse.

2. We are essentially trying to reduce the strain on the back by keeping the head, neck and shoulders back so they aren't pulling downward on the back.

3. The seat should not get too close to the backs of the knees as this can cut off circulation.

4. Elevating the feet to keep the knees from bending too much also helps circulation. I got a little rocker board that allows the feet to move a little whilst resting and supporting the legs.

5. Occasionally putting the chair in rocker mode helps with circulation and movement during long sitting sessions.

There's more that I can't remember, but hopefully that will be helpful.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote:- also the arms were easily adjusted and easily removed (for guitar playing, etc).
When I got the HM chair, I ordered it without arms for that reason. I don't miss them at all, and I saved $85. I once had one with arms, and started getting a tingling sensation in one arm. I ended up at a neurologist, and after a load of tests with electrical probes and wires, he told me to take the arms off my chair.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:Ultimately, my favorite chair was made by a Canadian company called Lifeform. It was an EXPENSIVE chair, and I never would have considered such lavish purchase, but as someone who works on my ass this much, it seemed like a good investment. The stuff I learned from the owner was also quite valuable.

1. Start with your arms. Set the height of the arm-rests to support the weight of your arms under the elbows & forearms and close to the body. Set the height of the chair so that forearms are level with the keyboard and mouse.

2. We are essentially trying to reduce the strain on the back by keeping the head, neck and shoulders back so they aren't pulling downward on the back.

3. The seat should not get too close to the backs of the knees as this can cut off circulation.

4. Elevating the feet to keep the knees from bending too much also helps circulation. I got a little rocker board that allows the feet to move a little whilst resting and supporting the legs.

5. Occasionally putting the chair in rocker mode helps with circulation and movement during long sitting sessions.

There's more that I can't remember, but hopefully that will be helpful.
Glad you found a chair that won't contribute to your gradual wasting away at the computer. That's what this is all about. And price is no object. If you don't believe me, check out the price of surgeries and medical procedures that arise from years spent in poor-fitting chairs. Especially chairs that cut off circulation to the backs of your legs, and which don't properly support your back, leaving you hunched over — which messes up your neck... It's like that old kids song: the knee bone's connected to the... LEG bone... and so on. It's all connected, and the longer you sit in a chair that's hurting you, the more a variety of your systems will be adversely affected.

A $2500 chair is cheap medicine; believe me.

Your list quoted above is a good list. The Aeron by HM has one feature that I use a lot which I haven't seen elsewhere: It has a forward tilt mode. You can open the forward limit and either lock it there or let it rock to that point. I lock it there when I'm leaning close to the computer monitor (such as right now). The effect is to let my legs rest naturally on my footrest (or the floor), so that there is no pressure behind the knees to cause circulation problems to the feet and ankles. If your ankles tend to swell after sitting for a long period, you need this. It also supports the back in this forward leaning position, promoting good posture.

There are a lot of good chairs now, and the Aeron is still a contender, but it's not the only contender as it was for so many years. Still, check the warranties. Herman-Miller gives us 10 to 12 year warranties, and it appears they will bring the part to your door and fix your chair while you wait, right in your house. That's good, because these chairs are big and hard to get through doors and into cars. You don't want to ship one of these things off for repair. So far, mine still looks and feels new after 2.5 years.

I still recommend the Aeron, but with the very important addition of the headrest you can get from Amazon, with matching style and pellicle. See one of my previous posts for links. But if you can go to a good store with lots of varieties to offer, definitely try them all. Let your back decide.

Shoosh
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The Aeron chair has very long arm rests with not enough padding or memory foam. The store owner thought they were too long. The chair I have has nice padding on the arm rests.

Removing the arm rests on the Lifeform chair requires fully removing a knob/bolt, takes about a minute for both.

I'm trying the chair out now. Will give it a couple weeks. This dealer has a 2-week refund period.

Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

stubbsonic wrote:The Aeron chair has very long arm rests with not enough padding or memory foam. The store owner thought they were too long. The chair I have has nice padding on the arm rests.

Removing the arm rests on the Lifeform chair requires fully removing a knob/bolt, takes about a minute for both.

I'm trying the chair out now. Will give it a couple weeks. This dealer has a 2-week refund period.
Odd, my Aeron chair arms are just right, with lots of padding. I wouldn't want them any shorter. But it just occurred to me that I bought the custom arm rests, made of leather. Maybe they are better-padded.

I think I maxed out the features when I bought mine. I said "make me one with everything," and they referred me to the Dali Lama. [ba-dump]

[cricket... cricket...]
:roll: Hmmm, I guess that's a sign I should get busy and start finishing some projects.

Shoosh
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, Shooshie.

My main concern at the moment is the circulation in the legs issue. I've tried other nicer chairs in the past and they often make my lower legs go to sleep (or feel cut off in some way).

Oddly, my very cheap, hardly-padded, flat seat-pan task chair does not cause this issue.

I've felt tinges of the tingling legs with this new chair, so I'm really hoping I can resolve it.

BTW, thanks for the tip about the warranty. This chair has a lifetime warranty for everything but the upholstery. But it has this really rugged fabric on it.