Opinions on ergonomic studio chairs, anyone?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Opinions on ergonomic studio chairs, anyone?

Post by stubbsonic »

Took the expensive ergo chair back. Had that same intolerable sensation in my lower legs, that I've had with other attempts at an ergo chair. Neither my crappy task chair nor my crappy old car seat have ever caused me any problems.

PLAN B: At a local furniture place I chose an adequate $100 chair with arms that fold out of the way. AND, I ordered an nice desk that raises & lowers with a hand crank, so I can sit or stand when I want. At my last day gig, I used to prefer using a closed grand piano (on a big wheeled dolly) as a work table-- which was at a very pleasant height. The cost of both the adjustable desk and the adequate chair combined is less than the chair I just took back. But I think this solution will ultimately be better for me. I'll be sitting less and can tweak my work height.

So far the new chair is fine. Nice & quiet, too. One thing I learned from all this is that there is a fair amount of hype around these kinds of products-- so there's nothing better than getting to try the stuff out. Also, the online reviews are quite helpful for avoiding unexpected disappointments.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Well, it's a process of elimination, and it seems that everything is like that. There aren't that many things in this world that are worth what they cost. Once in a while we find something that's a perfect fit for us, and when that happens, the success of a long search makes the price seem irrelevant. Whether it's $2500 or $250, or $25 for that matter, the price isn't what's important. It's about reaching the end of a struggle.

It's good that you're finding that fit and getting some big pieces of the puzzle in place. We tend to live a long time with these choices, so it's important that they only affect us beneficially, and not cause any problems. If a hundred dollar chair does that, it's worth its weight in gold. And the great thing is that you get to keep all but a hundred dollars of that gold, AND the chair! :koolaid:

I think you used your head and did well.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The advice I got here, and at the Back Store has helped guide me. Thanks especially to Shooshie who is always very generous with great info & advice.

The big take home is to consider the principles and make them work for you.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com