"Sound Designers"

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: "Sound Designers"

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't make the rules, Jim, but I am asked to help enforce them.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

:surrender:
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I don't make the rules, Jim, but I am asked to help enforce them.
Honestly, without going into politics, guns are legal. A person may be for or against that fact, but Jim was not advocating for or against gun laws, etc. so I don't see the mere mention of a gun as political. As for the story itself, this is an off-topic forum, and that's off-topic... thus okay.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

He pulls the weapon and I take the heat. Hmmm...
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Religion is legal.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Religion is legal.
If you want to hash this out in public, we can do that.

It is my position as admin that the mere mention of a gun is NOT a violation. I'm not going to delete a post because someone might say "I went to the gun range the other day," any more than I'll delete a post that says "I heard this great piece of music at church/synagogue/mosque" etc. In neither case, is someone actively advocating or proselytizing.

That's my last word on this particular post. The story/mention was incidental and not advocacy. Thanks.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Fine
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I think it's unimportant what you call something if it works, Sound Designer sounds better than Preset Designer, that's about as much as I read into it. Music has always had words with slippery meaning. A producer in 1970 VS today is a great example. In electronic music producer means the guy behind the computer probably composing the song entirely with no one else, not coming in and helping a fledgling artist with the recording and sometimes arrangement of their already or mostly finished songs like it meant in 1970. Probably a slippery slope from guys like Dr. Dre who would take a unknown rapper and write the music behind them entirely, and the boy/girl groups of the 50s to present day. Getting upset about it I dunno, I'm going to reserve my "Kids get off my lawn!" moments for the kids literally on my lawn! :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

And the plain fact is, "sound designer" as a profession existed long before computers and synths were around. It isn't that far of a stretch that someone creating a patch is call a sound designer.

By the way, on my way here, I went to the bait and tackle shop and bought a bunch of worms - then one of them bit me - left a mark!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:And the plain fact is, "sound designer" as a profession existed long before computers and synths were around. It isn't that far of a stretch that someone creating a patch is call a sound designer.

By the way, on my way here, I went to the bait and tackle shop and bought a bunch of worms - then one of them bit me - left a mark!
Reminds me of that t-shirt from the 70's "The last great act of defiance!" :lol:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.