FMiguelez--R U OK?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
wylie1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: FMiguelez--R U OK?

Post by wylie1 »

Glad your ok FM, my heart goes out to all those affected by the recent wave of disasters.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Sending you my positive vibes and glad to know you're okay, FM!
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I'm going to blame this recent rash of earthquakes on global warming, just because - you know - I'm an idiot that way.

"The earth she is warming up, and so she swells up from the heat, and boom! You get earthquakes!"

Maybe I'm not being very scientific about it, though...

Very glad to hear this one (at 7.1!) did little damage and that the number of people hurt and killed were at a seeming minimum - definitely yourself included!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

As long as the tectonic plates stay put, we're ok. When they move and reposition is when they wreck havoc.

The kind of resulting earth movement is what makes all the difference in the world. The oscillatory moves can be handled by most buildings, but the trepidatory moves are the killers.

Who knows how much the continents are drifting, but I bet they will eventually become unrecognizable by us.

The craziest thing is that we are at the complete and absolute mercy of the caprices of the tectonic plates. We know they move and will keep moving. We could have an 11 Richter-scale earthquake at anytime under the circumstances that already happen.

And then you guys, with the hurricanes. Does this ever stop??

Maybe the rock from space that will cause our mass extinction is already on its way to us...
Or how about solar flares? A big one could wipe us out instantly. :boohoo:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Hope your friends and relatives are well, FM.
In this hard time, I send you as much braveness and friendship I can.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote: Maybe the rock from space that will cause our mass extinction is already on its way to us...
Now I'm really depressed. My vote is for antibiotic resistant bacteria.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

Hi FM,
I'm glad you and yours are OK, this is very scary!
The power of these natural disasters whether it's an earthquake or a hurricane reminds us how precarious something like survival can be,stay safe.
KG
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Man, I'm glad you escaped the worst of this! They showed on the news a somewhat tallish building just collapsing flat like the World Trade towers did - I cringed thinking of the people inside that thing! And a local school lost several children and adults - very sad. It shook up some areas pretty bad! Terrorizing.

The Irma hurricane hit my sister and her husband in British Virgin Islands. It took out their living room window and sent a chunk of glass into her shoulder, and then immediately tore their roof off. They ran into the adjoining building of their house complex, as did their neighbor with their 6-month old baby, only to have that roof ripped off as well. They fled to a small bathhouse structure and that stayed intact. (They appear to build rooms as separate structures there...) It was hours and many island hops by plane before she got to a hospital for her injury. Now safe in Virginia at her husband's family's place. But what a harrowing thing to experience!

Anyway - glad you and everybody else here on the forum is safe and sound for the moment!

Terry

(P.S. - I'm with cuttime - definitely going to be the anti-bacteria-resistant strain that decimates us.)
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cuttime wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: Maybe the rock from space that will cause our mass extinction is already on its way to us...
Now I'm really depressed. My vote is for antibiotic resistant bacteria.
terrybritton wrote:
(P.S. - I'm with cuttime - definitely going to be the anti-bacteria-resistant strain that decimates us.)
Agreed. That is probably how we will all go. We have already many antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains, so there...

Either that, or we make ourselves extinct due to human irrationality. Probably via a world war.

You guys are not very optimistic! :mrgreen:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote: You guys are not very optimistic! :mrgreen:
Which is why we become musicians! :boohoo:
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

FMiguelez wrote:As long as the tectonic plates stay put, we're ok. When they move and reposition is when they wreck havoc.

Are you sure that it's not because of the slamming tunes you're cranking out in DP?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

People in Vancouver are paying very close attention to what happened and is happening in Mexico. This area is on a few major faults (some of them tectonic), and the last major quake was circa 1700, so the general assumption is the next one is coming soon.

I don't know how it looks from there, but from here, it looks like we can all learn a lot from the way it is being handled.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

bayswater wrote:People in Vancouver are paying very close attention to what happened and is happening in Mexico. This area is on a few major faults (some of them tectonic), and the last major quake was circa 1700, so the general assumption is the next one is coming soon.

I don't know how it looks from there, but from here, it looks like we can all learn a lot from the way it is being handled.

Dude-- We're all prepping for beachfront property, so to speak.

Who was it who said that Mother Nature is always that last one to bat?

Earthquakes. Hurricanes. Where do we fit in?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Frodo wrote:Dude-- We're all prepping for beachfront property, so to speak.
I'm a few metres from the beach now ! :shock:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:People in Vancouver are paying very close attention to what happened and is happening in Mexico. This area is on a few major faults (some of them tectonic), and the last major quake was circa 1700, so the general assumption is the next one is coming soon.

One lesson repeatedly offered: integrate adequate reinforcing steel when building with concrete.