It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Text Size

I know...Get A Life! Lines of Code in DP?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

I know...Get A Life! Lines of Code in DP?

Postby buzzsmith » Thu May 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Just curious...

My DP 9.01 is showing a size of 305 megs.

I just wonder how many lines of code that might contain?

Inquiring minds...

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.01 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: I know...Get A Life! Lines of Code in DP?

Postby FMiguelez » Thu May 18, 2017 7:39 pm

I'd pay money just to glance at parts of the DP code, just out of curiosity.

It must be mind-bogglingly complex... Can you imagine? Just keeping all the parts organised in libraries must be quite a challenge.

I suppose it's written in C++? It would be nice if one of the MOTU programmers came here to chat with us about this. I've been doing some reading on DSP lately, and it's fascinating :)

http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm

I think we need to get lives, Buzzy :lol:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.10.3 / DP 9.02
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Platinum, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VE Pro, etc.

---------------------------

"There's random genetic variation, and non-random survival, and non-random reproduction, which is why, as the generations go by, animals get better at doing what they do. That is quintessentially non-random". ― Richard Dawkins
FMiguelez

Postby mhschmieder » Thu May 18, 2017 11:31 pm

DSP is way harder than analog. We're on our third generation of DSP concepts now, and it's easier this time around than the last time, as we finally went to 64-bit integer math. It simplifies stuff like headroom, noise suppression, etc. I think MOTU made this switch a few years ago already.

Counting lines of code is a meaningless task. Well-architected code shrinks (re-factoring) and grows (new features) at the same time. Microsoft code just gets bigger, due to lack of architecture, or poor design (I've seen quite a bit of it over the years).

I'm far more curious about how MOTU tackled the multi-platform problem. They have a large workforce so can afford to do separate code bases, but I wonder if they did.

Companies that barely have any software engineers, like mine, are forced out of pragmatism into using Qt/C++ and JavaFX/Java, sometimes Nue and other cross-platform toolkits (even JavaScript). They're getting better, but it remains the case that to do truly compliant stuff you kind of have to develop directly for the platform -- perhaps using Xcode and Apple's recommended languages.

One cue as to how much native code or native tools are involved, is to look at the file choosers in an app. Adobe has what appear to be proprietary plug-ins near the bottom of theirs, that I have found no way to access programmatically and yet do not think they are Adobe-specific. Either Apple shares some stuff with them that they don't with others, or doing Xcode-based development with Apple/Mac-specific tools/languages provides more features than merely wrapping native code.
MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2.8 GHz, 16 GB), OSX 10.12.4, MOTU DP 9.13, iZotope RX 5.0.0
FireFace UFX, Audient ASP880, True Precision 8, AEA RPQ, Radial PZ-DI & Reamp JCR

Eugenio Upright, Dingwall ABI, BB-1025X, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hagstrom Viking Bari
57 Goldtop, Select Strat/Tele, Pro JMaster, RevStar RS502T, G5422-12, EXL-1, J-100 Xtra, E6D, OM-28VTS, E20P-SB, M-20, AC530-12, ABT60
Yamaha WX5, Hammond XK-1c, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 12
mhschmieder

Postby bayswater » Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 am

Most of that probably does not come from compiled lines of code. There are a lot of image files and other data used by DP. The exec file is less than 40 meg.
iMac 27" i7 16G, DP 8.07/9.02 & OS 10.12.3, Logic 10.3.1, Scarlett 18i8
MBP 16G DP 9.12 & OS 10.12.3, Lexicon Alpha
Dual 2.0G G5 PCI 2G, DP 7.24 & OS 10.5.8, 2408 MKII, UAD-1
bayswater

Postby mhschmieder » Sat May 20, 2017 2:30 am

That's actually somewhat small, which likely means they don't use much, if any, third-party code, as such libraries tend to contribute more to compiled code size than local application code does.

Of course, if they're depending mostly on installed libraries vs. dynamic or static linked libraries, due to be highly native in writing style, that would also explain the somewhat small executable style.
MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2.8 GHz, 16 GB), OSX 10.12.4, MOTU DP 9.13, iZotope RX 5.0.0
FireFace UFX, Audient ASP880, True Precision 8, AEA RPQ, Radial PZ-DI & Reamp JCR

Eugenio Upright, Dingwall ABI, BB-1025X, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hagstrom Viking Bari
57 Goldtop, Select Strat/Tele, Pro JMaster, RevStar RS502T, G5422-12, EXL-1, J-100 Xtra, E6D, OM-28VTS, E20P-SB, M-20, AC530-12, ABT60
Yamaha WX5, Hammond XK-1c, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 12
mhschmieder

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic