It is currently Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Text Size

The Abandonment of DP Control

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!

The Abandonment of DP Control

Postby James Steele » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Of all the gripes one might have with MOTU, this issue is the one I understand least and irritates me most. I've heard rumor that Apple won't approve the updated app. Don't know if that's true. Seems like if Apple approved it initially, what is the problem?

DP Control was an ideal solution for remote control of DP. Why let it die? I can understand why Unisyn was allowed to whither away, but not DP Control. How long did it actually work? It was nice knowing it.
JamesSteele.com | Dean Guitars | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter

MacPro5,1 Hexcore 3.33, 24GB RAM, macOS 10.12.2, ATI 5770, DP 9.12, MOTU HD192, 24I/O, UAD-2 Duo, Lucid GENx192, HV-3C, Red Type B, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Abandonment of DP Control

Postby MIDI Life Crisis » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Bummer! It kind of sucks that one needs Apple's approval for such things. I know little to nothing (more of the latter) about programming and getting something to load on un un-jailbroken device, but it would be nice if MOTU and other developers would be able to get their apps on the iPhone w/o asking Big Brother for their stamp of approval.

I didn't use the control app much, but when I did I was thrilled by it's accuracy and responsiveness. I hope that gets rectified by Apple. I've seen other good apps go the same way, and in the case of a one off developer selling their app on the Apple site it one thing. Yeah, you're sort of on your own, but companies like MOTU sell products that sell Apple computers (or at least used to) and you'd think they would want to support those efforts. Then again, Apple also sells a competing product. Does Logic have a remote control app? If so, then possibly Apple is blocking MOTU to have that slight edge on the competition. And what about those other DAWs? Do THEY have remote apps for the iPhone/iPad?

If I cared about those others one iota I'd go check, but I'm a one-DAW man and if I have to do w/o a man remote app to use DP, so be it. Nothing else comes close. Not my opinion. That is a fact!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.12.3; DP 9.1; Track 16 F'n 25 (brain dead Finale)

http://www.MIDILifeCrisis.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Postby billf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 pm

The last update of DP Control for iOS was Sep 24, 2010, version 1.02. That's an eternity in iOS years.
MacPro5,1, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.9.5, Digital Performer 9.1, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.2.2, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.5.2
billf

Postby cuttime » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:47 pm

It is a bummer but I'll throw this out again:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/daw-con ... 25383?mt=8

I think James had a problem with having the transport controls active with someone being asked to mix. I'll point out that the controls and labels are completely customizable. If anyone's interested, the details are here (some of my image links disappeared):

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60593&hilit=daw+control&start=15
Traveler DP9.12 Unisyn 10.6.8 and 10.12.3 i7 iMac 16G
cuttime

Postby Robert Randolph » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:21 pm

While I know that you're not asking for alternatives, http://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-control works with DP and offers more control than DP control.

It'd be great if Motu could get their act together on it though. A bunch of other DAWs have a cool control app that works :(
DP9.02 3.5ghz i5 late 2013 iMac. 2011 17" i7 Macbook Pro. OS X 10.12.3. Way too many plug-ins.
Robert Randolph

Postby BKK-OZ » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 pm

I agree that it is pretty disappointing.
Raised this years ago with MOTU and I was unimpressed with their response.

I know that this isn't a thread looking for alternatives, but there is Touch Osc, and this that I posted in another thread:

- - - - -
Just came across this app for controlling Macs via an iPad.
Dunno if it is good, bad, or otherwise.
Caveat emptor.
http://www.quadro.me
- - - - -
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Postby terrybritton » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:52 pm

BKK-OZ wrote:I agree that it is pretty disappointing.
Raised this years ago with MOTU and I was unimpressed with their response.

I know that this isn't a thread looking for alternatives, but there is Touch Osc, and this that I posted in another thread:

- - - - -
Just came across this app for controlling Macs via an iPad.
Dunno if it is good, bad, or otherwise.
Caveat emptor.
http://www.quadro.me
- - - - -

I wrote an article for the Cantabile crowd that details the controls from three of the basic layouts TouchOSC comes with out of the box. If interested, check it out here:
http://community.cantabilesoftware.com/t/use-cantabile-3-with-a-tablet-via-touchosc-and-touchosc-bridge/570

Terry
Computer: Dell XPS 8700-1751BLK | Intel Haswell Core i7 4790@3.6Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Windows 10 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid- USB

DAWs and Live: MOTU Digital Performer 9.1.2 | Samplitude Pro X3 Suite | Cantabile 3 Performer
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation, Korg Poly800
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88, Akai MPK249, Alesis QX49; NI Maschine Jam; Peavey PC 1600x
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Lexicon LXP-5

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/tbritton33
terrybritton

Primary DAW OS: Windows

Return to MOTU Theoretical Discussions, Gripes, Petitions & Off Topic