Marianelli pro-DP!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Marianelli pro-DP!

Post by williemyers »

Last edited by williemyers on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Marianelli pro-DP!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

“YOU NEED TO BE INCREDIBLY STRONG AS A FILM COMPOSER, YOU NEED TO BE ABSOLUTELY CLEAR IN YOURSELF ABOUT WHAT’S IMPORTANT, AND IF IT HAPPENS THAT YOU’RE SACKED, SO BE IT... IT DOESN’T CHANGE, ULTIMATELY, WHO YOU ARE.”
Great quote, but also applies to ANY composing by commission, as far as I'm concerned. I've worked with some real idiots and conversely, some incredibly talented geniuses, and remaining true to yourself is critical. One of my favorite stories is the score to Seinfeld. The producers hated the idea of the slap bass guitar. The composer (Johnathan Wolff?) fought for it and not it is iconic. You can't hear a slap bass and NOT think of that show - at least, I can't.

And yes, it takes and incredibly strong person to defend such things and you have to be willing to loose the gig.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:One of my favorite stories is the score to Seinfeld. The producers hated the idea of the slap bass guitar. The composer (Johnathan Wolff?) fought for it and not it is iconic. You can't hear a slap bass and NOT think of that show - at least, I can't.
MLC, it turns out that Wolff has become a neighbor of mine(!) here in Louisvlle, KY!
I haven't met up with him yet, but- for your entertainment - here's a local interview that he did when he move back here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJ8LvfuQKQ
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

williemyers wrote: I haven't met up with him yet, but- for your entertainment - here's a local interview that he did when he move back here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJ8LvfuQKQ
I rarely get to the end of these things, but I LOVED that interview. The only thing I'll take exception to is his claim that he is the worst actor in the world. I retain that title, hands down (no pun intended). Also, I'll NEVER retire. Retire to what? I don't feel like I've had a job in many decades. Butt eye digress...

He seems like a great person. Thanks for sharing that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

if I run in to him up at the park - - the one you saw him and his family frolicking in - - I'll pass on your regards....and ask him if he uses DP!

((and if not, why not?!))

~me
MIDI Life Crisis

williemyers wrote:if I run in to him up at the park - - the one you saw him and his family frolicking in - - I'll pass on your regards....and ask him if he uses DP!

((and if not, why not?!))
I'm sure we have a few friends and acquaintances in common. George Castanza, for one. I've done a few shows with Jason (as recently as this past December). I've played a lot of comedy shows in LA with lots of these guys. It can be a wild, and always intelligent, bunch. I love smart, educated, and cultured people. Cleary, he fits into that group. He reminds me of another TV film composer friend, Eban Schletter. They have a very similar energy and enthusiasm when talking about their work. I always saw that as an obsession, but clearly Johnathan is not so obsessed as to let it interfere with enjoying his life (and neither does Eban - who, BTW, is a DP user).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I was following a lot of the WorkJuice Players / Thrilling Adventure Hour stuff as well as Paul F. Tomkins (and the Pod F. Tomkast) which featured Eban Schletter. Wonderfully fun player.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

stubbsonic wrote:I was following a lot of the WorkJuice Players / Thrilling Adventure Hour stuff as well as Paul F. Tomkins (and the Pod F. Tomkast) which featured Eban Schletter. Wonderfully fun player.
He has a fantastic studio in the heart of Hollywood and plays a mean theremin, plus he's a great guy.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I heard him play theremin as part of the Beyond Belief series (god, I love those!) He wrote some songs around some valentines day special that were quite clever.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

This is a revealing and inspiring conversation which goes to the heart and soul of approaching music for film. I recommend taking the time to watch this to experienced and novice composers alike.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

frankf wrote:This is a revealing and inspiring conversation which goes to the heart and soul of approaching music for film. I recommend taking the time to watch this to experienced and novice composers alike.
As soon as I finish the score I'm writing... ;)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
frankf

Post by frankf »

Exactly, MLC!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
MIDI Life Crisis

BTW, I am having a blast with this one.

https://www.catalinamuseum.org/silent-film-benefit
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

frankf wrote:This is a revealing and inspiring conversation which goes to the heart and soul of approaching music for film. I recommend taking the time to watch this to experienced and novice composers alike.
Yes, lots of good, useful stuff in this interview. And a good plug for DP coming from someone working at that level. ...kinda funny, right out of the box the interviewer takes an unprovoked pot shot at DP! What the heck?

Among other things, I like his take on getting fired from scoring a film. Though it's pretty common, you don't hear people talk about that much. As anyone who's ever had that happen will tell you, that experience can really mess with you.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com