Decent old synth to use as controller?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
emulatorloo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Decent old synth to use as controller?

Post by emulatorloo »

I've got a second home with a small set-up, right now I am using a Roland D-50 as a MIDI controller. Playing soft synths, Kontakt, etc.

I just don't feel like I am getting much in the way of dynamics.

Not wanting to spend a lot of money, maybe $300 plus. I am thinking a Yamaha SY series might be good? Any suggestions appreciated,
Dwetmaster

Re: Decent old synth to use as controller?

Post by Dwetmaster »

If you could find a used yamaha KX8, you'd be in business...
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I assume you've played around with velocity curve settings in the D-50? It should have pretty good dynamics as a controller.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Before you commit to a keyboard, get out your MIDI Monitor (by Snoize), and give it a little test. See if you can get every velocity from 1 through 127, or at least hit enough of them to be sure that the rest are also possible. Some older MIDI keyboards only did a handful of velocities. Others may do them, but are very sensitive, and it may be hard to get some ranges.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

stubbsonic wrote:I assume you've played around with velocity curve settings in the D-50? It should have pretty good dynamics as a controller.
I've been digging through the manual and haven't found a way to change the velocity curve. Looks like it may be fixed?

Shooshie: MIDI monitor, wow! Thanks for the tip. I am seeing a range of velocities, from 0 up to 127.

What I am thinking is it may be my playing style, I am mostly used to semi-weighted or weighted keys. Seems like D-50 is synth action. Maybe I will try to adapt playing styled and see what happens.
Dwetmaster wrote:If you could find a used yamaha KX8, you'd be in business...
This may be what I end up doing. Looks like slim pickings for those on eBay. I see a more Roland A series controllers seems like.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Don't forget the DP Change Velocity plug.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Greg! You're alive!

Great to see you, man.

I too thought a Yammy SY might be cool, if for no other reason than the facts that they're Yammy-made and have sliders, although I've no idea how configurable said controls are.

What about that Yammy analogue-modelling keyboard? Forgotten what it was called, but it had usable sounds (unique, cutting / biting) and a shedload of knobs etc. I'd be willing to bet that the actual keyboard on the SY would've been better 'though, based on the intended use.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Like many keyboards, I like a little more resistant, heft, weight, to my keys, but not as heavy as the older piano/hammer keyboards which always felt way too heavy and sluggish to me.

A synth action keyboard (especially the D-50) should be able to give you the dynamics you want, but it might not give you the feel you want.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
musicman691

Post by musicman691 »

emulatorloo wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:I assume you've played around with velocity curve settings in the D-50? It should have pretty good dynamics as a controller.
I've been digging through the manual and haven't found a way to change the velocity curve. Looks like it may be fixed?

Shooshie: MIDI monitor, wow! Thanks for the tip. I am seeing a range of velocities, from 0 up to 127.

What I am thinking is it may be my playing style, I am mostly used to semi-weighted or weighted keys. Seems like D-50 is synth action. Maybe I will try to adapt playing styled and see what happens.
Dwetmaster wrote:If you could find a used yamaha KX8, you'd be in business...
This may be what I end up doing. Looks like slim pickings for those on eBay. I see a more Roland A series controllers seems like.
I'd be a little wary of older Yamaha keyboards. The key actions can get what I call tired. I have an original Motif 7 that has some keys that are very inconsistent in how they respond and snoize bears that out. It's a synth-action keybed. And some of those old Yamaha weighted action keybeds would also wear out quickly (in addition to being inconsistent from the factory).
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Love the action on my Yamaha S90ES, plus the internal sounds are very useable and it has BC input. Use the D50 to play organ and synth sounds for a more authentic feel.
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

Hey everybody, thanks a million. You all gave me a lot to think about and here's what I decided to do.
stubbsonic wrote:A synth action keyboard (especially the D-50) should be able to give you the dynamics you want, but it might not give you the feel you want.
This is what it boils down to, I think. I'm just more comfortable playing a semi-weighted or weighted keyboard.

While I'm out here this trip, I'm going to take HCMarkus' advice about using the D-50 for synth and organ parts. Just going to focus on synth-based tracks. So far, so good!

That being said, I'd rather have a semi-weighted keyboard out here. When I go home in a week, I'll check the keyboard collection for semi-weighted keys and see what I could stand to leave out here. I originally chose the D-50 to leave out here, because I have a D-550 at home.

Eventually I may want to get a Roland A-30 off of eBay. Semi weighted, 76 keys. (musicman691, appreciate you steering me away from the Yamaha SY's)

You guys are great!
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

monkey man wrote:Greg! You're alive!

Great to see you, man.
Thanks, buddy! And right back at you. I lurk a fair amount but have been keeping my big fat mouth shut. :woohoo:
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

emulatorloo wrote:Thanks, buddy! And right back at you. I lurk a fair amount but have been keeping my big fat mouth shut. :woohoo:
Self-depreciation. At least your premium payments will be less.

Hope you're OK and haven't depreciated too much, Greg.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here