Spectrasonics announces Omnisphere 2!

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
kgdrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by kgdrum »

This looks amazing!
:woohoo:

http://vimeo.com/117503596
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
mikehalloran

Re: Spectrasonics announces Omnisphere 2!

Post by mikehalloran »

kgdrum wrote:This looks amazing!
:woohoo:
http://vimeo.com/117503596
It does.

The following means that it will probably not work with DP 7. It should work with DP 8 32 or 64, however.

Audio Unit plugin requires host with support for "Cocoa" based plugins
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf

Post by billf »

That looks awesome.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

For those who own all three products, upgrade will be around $200; otherwise $250.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Ooooooh. Aaaaaah.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Watched the demo and I guess I'm the little boy who says the Kings got no clothes on.

The whole morphing thing went out with the Emu Z-Synth and the granular stuff is in MachFive 3. I'm not a big fan of buzzy synth sounds in general so this leaves me with the impression that the only real uniqueness is in the odd sampled instruments and that alone does little for me in my work. I've already have a shite load of stuff. I know, that VI is a religious experience for most and if I needed another that would probably be it. But other than that I'm less that curious after watching the promo.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

And what of RMX?

After such a long hiatus I halfway expected we'd see an update for Stylus RMX as well. It's still one of my go-to VIs, but it's like taking a trip back in time to OS9 when I open it. There's still no VI out there like it (is there?), but it could use an overhaul like Omnisphere and Trilian have gotten.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

dix wrote:And what of RMX?

After such a long hiatus I halfway expected we'd see an update for Stylus RMX as well. It's still one of my go-to VIs, but it's like taking a trip back in time to OS9 when I open it. There's still no VI out there like it (is there?), but it could use an overhaul like Omnisphere and Trilian have gotten.

On a thread in either GS or KVR Spectrasonics stated there will be additional updates to other products after Omnisphere 2 is released .........
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Man, I could just keep watching that kind of stuff all day.

Babz 8)
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Watched the demo and I guess I'm the little boy who says the Kings got no clothes on.

The whole morphing thing went out with the Emu Z-Synth and the granular stuff is in MachFive 3. I'm not a big fan of buzzy synth sounds in general so this leaves me with the impression that the only real uniqueness is in the odd sampled instruments and that alone does little for me in my work. I've already have a shite load of stuff. I know, that VI is a religious experience for most and if I needed another that would probably be it. But other than that I'm less that curious after watching the promo.
Same take-aways.

I saw nothing that I haven't seen before and I didn't hear anything new either.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BobK

Post by BobK »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Watched the demo and I guess I'm the little boy who says the Kings got no clothes on.

[...] I'm not a big fan of buzzy synth sounds in general so this leaves me with the impression that the only real uniqueness is in the odd sampled instruments and that alone does little for me in my work. I've already have a shite load of stuff. I know, that VI is a religious experience for most and if I needed another that would probably be it. But other than that I'm less that curious after watching the promo.
+1.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Saw it at NAMM. Like others, I was expecting more from Spectra after such a long wait (10 years). A new instrument concept that bridges all three of their current products, or at least—as has been suggested—an update to the increasingly tired Stylus RMX.

The new search—especially Sound-Alikes and freeze functions—will be great, but mostly, it seems like just more of the same, and in my book more is not necessarily more. The number of patches is already unweildy and much of the new stuff (ex: EDM) will be of no interest to me. Not sure I'll do the upgrade.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
groove

Post by groove »

Underwhelmed by the Spectrasonic announcement. Like many, I was expecting a long due update to Stylus RMX. A better, searchable browser, individual slice transposition tool, ability to drag all the MIDI parts in one shot, drag and drop audio file with automatic slicing, etc. I use RMX in all my productions. At the beginning of a new show, I take a couples of days creating Rex files in recycle that I will be using. I'm amaze third parties are still creating RMX libraries.

I've never been excited by Omnisphere 1 and the upgrade does not change my mind.. The inability at the time to import your own audio directed me to alchemy and Iris. Now, seven years later, omni2 can import audio. Yeh!

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

One feature stuck out as being very clever and one that I hope others adopt is the LOCK function.

As you are auditioning sounds, if you like specific features of a sound, you lock any of them with a drop-down menu so it will hold those things (like envelopes, arps, samples, effects, etc). Now as you continue to audition sounds, it will override those characteristics with the LOCKED ones. Seems useful.

What made me un-interested is just yet another ginormous list of sounds I'd never use. I do get why people love this VI. It is pretty awesome, but that kind of "we-did-all-this-sound-design-for-you" thing just is a buzz kill for me. I don't doubt you could make beautifully expressive sounds in there. I just like a cleaner canvas to start.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

You can start with a blank canvas in Omnisphere if you like, but cruising the presets can be an inspiration. For my work in game music Omnisphere is the cats PJs.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]