Dirty Lying Scumbag Corporations that Rip Off Musicians

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
funkyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dirty Lying Scumbag Corporations that Rip Off Musicians

Post by funkyfreddy »

Yes, let's vent and make a list of scummy music vendors that rip off musicians, composers, and songwriters.....
Let's make a list of them!

I'll start with one.... Getty Images. A long time ago I joined when it was known as Pump Audio and made some sales.... A few pieces of mine were commissioned repeatedly and I made a little money for a few years.... so far so good....

Then I got a notice that I had a "negative balance". When enquiring as to how a music contributor could have a "negative balance" I was told that Pump had changed it's royalty rates and that somehow I owed them from payments made to me the previous year.... huh? A few more e-mails passed between us.... me asking questions and more corporate lawyer BS in return....

Then Pump Audio became Getty Images.... account settings were changed and then Getty Images somehow begat a company called ESP and all access to my account has been blocked.... I've since received a bunch of contradictory e-mails from Getty, some telling me to log in to change my payment settings while others tell me my account has been terminated....

The saga continues....Now I wonder how many other small businesses they have done this to and how much $$ they have kept as a result.

Thanks for reading!
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
FMiguelez

Re: Dirty Lying Scumbag Corporations that Rip Off Musicians

Post by FMiguelez »

You want NASTY stuff? I'll give you some.... Some of the worst possible ever...

How about discovering some parasites have STOLEN your music from music libs x,y and z by recording it through hardware and selling YOUR music as THEIRS in most of the bottom-feeding (and even "better") libraries? They get all your royalties and you might never know!!!

:rtfmmad: :smash: :brucelee: :banghead:

I have a friend that has been dealing with this, and it is becoming a VERY common practice, as you can read in fora that deal with this.
Now, what do most libs do to avoid this and sort it out when it happens? I'll let you guess...

These days, this whole library thing is mostly a race to the bottom. Only people who were well established with good libs and who had thousands of great tracks make any significant money. Otherwise, it is mostly peanuts. There are very few great music libs left, sadly....
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

FMiguelez wrote:You want NASTY stuff? I'll give you some.... Some of the worst possible ever...

How about discovering some parasites have STOLEN your music from music libs x,y and z by recording it through hardware and selling YOUR music as THEIRS in most of the bottom-feeding (and even "better") libraries? They get all your royalties and you might never know!!!
Wow! That's bad..... :(

On that note I think musicians need to band together and act like gangsters at times.....
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 16 GB RAM OSX 11.2 Big Sur
UAD Apollo Quad DP11.22 some Waves, Soundtoys, Digital Performer 11.2, Reason 12, iZotope 11, and lots of real instruments to play :)
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Freddy, are you using any of the music tracking services via watermark or similar?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

FMiguelez wrote:Freddy, are you using any of the music tracking services via watermark or similar?
Would you have any recommendations on watermarking and music tracking? Please feel free to PM if you would like :) Thanks, Fred