Anyone willing to share their license agreement?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Anyone willing to share their license agreement?

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Yep. Paid off rather well in the end...
Then I guess that's the thing to do.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If it's a stinky little local spot, just don't sign away your broadcast and try to make sure the PRO pays for the market area for that kind of spot. BMI stopped paying some local market spots here in So Cal. If it's a national spot, then get a lawyer or someone you trust who's been around that block.

Yeah, a stinky local schmokel thing might not need a lawyer, but just be sure the use is limited to the immediate production and not perpetual for any use. That would be the most basic protection I can think of.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
PoliticalBonobo wrote: Did everyone here honestly lawyer up for their first few-thousand dollar project?
Oh hell yes!

You'll wait a long time for someone to call you back.

When you receive their contract, make an appointment with a qualified attorney to have it looked at. This will not cost what you think. If that person needs to go to bat for you, expect to be charged a retainer or negotiate a percentage deal with the attorney.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

ESPECIALLY for broadcast stuff!

OK, we've provided you with the bow and arrow. Now let's hunt some (w)ork!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
The deeper question here is one of negotiation tactics, and those I will not share.
:(

Not even a little tip? An anecdote or relevant story from experience?

:rtfmmad:

That skill is not one of my strong characteristics, unfortunately.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

Thanks, guys. Sounds like lawyer review is worth doing despite the size of this job. I will find someone.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If it's a national spot, then get a lawyer or someone you trust who's been around that block.
It's national. And that being said, could I contact your lawyer? I'm guessing this isn't state-specific, so he'd be able to work with me remotely (?). I will also try some local offices.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
PoliticalBonobo wrote: Did everyone here honestly lawyer up for their first few-thousand dollar project?
Oh hell yes!

You'll wait a long time for someone to call you back.

When you receive their contract, make an appointment with a qualified attorney to have it looked at. This will not cost what you think. If that person needs to go to bat for you, expect to be charged a retainer or negotiate a percentage deal with the attorney.

Hopefully, you have some good local recommendations. Otherwise, call the local Bar Association. Most (all?) have a lawyer's referral service — the one where I live sets up a one-time consultation for a flat fee. I've been pleased the few times I've used it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

mikehalloran wrote:...call the local Bar Association. Most (all?) have a lawyer's referral service — the one where I live sets up a one-time consultation for a flat fee. I've been pleased the few times I've used it.
Yep!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS