What music libraries do you recommend?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

What music libraries do you recommend?

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

I'm hoping that maybe after a few hundred rejections, I'll make it into a music library. I'm targeting film/TV instrumental music (since that's what I do).

Is there a music library you recommend submitting to or one that's worked well for you?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What music libraries do you recommend?

Post by daniel.sneed »

Hope you get what you're after, but my 2 cents:
- there's no such *one size fits all* library. Depending on the project, strong and weak points in each...
- there will always be abandonwares. I already lost much time, and of course money, in those...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've heard about a couple services that provide library music as stems that allow kind of dynamic remixing of elements within the set. I don't know if either of those services got off the ground. I think their models were a bit like a "band camp" kind of thing where folks could browse and artists got some cut of a single use.

The thing that always repulsed me about that approach is that my creative efforts are disconnected from the project. So my creative efforts might be on a garbage project or something that I might disagree with for ethical reasons. I think at least one of the services provided a stage where the artist would get an offer that they could approve or disapprove, but again, I don't know if that ever really ended up happening.

I have to imagine that this isn't any easy way to make money.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
PoliticalBonobo

daniel.sneed wrote:- there will always be abandonwares. I already lost much time, and of course money, in those...
Can you elaborate on that? Not sure what you mean exactly
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
PoliticalBonobo

stubbsonic wrote: I have to imagine that this isn't any easy way to make money.
Do you mean contributing to libraries in general? I know a couple composers that make some extra bucks on the side from libraries and even make connections with clients.
This article may be a little embellished, but http://www.soundonsound.com/music-busin ... sic-part-1
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:
daniel.sneed wrote:- there will always be abandonwares. I already lost much time, and of course money, in those...
Can you elaborate on that? Not sure what you mean exactly
Well, just one exemple: over years, I have bought and organised a large and powerful set of Alchemy libraries. At some point Camel Audio closed shop. Apple bought the virtual instrument and set it to be Logic Pro X only. Today, my virtual Alchemy instrument and libraries still play in DP, but no support to be expected anymore. I guess, one day they will stop playing fine with future OS or DP releases.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
PoliticalBonobo

[/quote]Well, just one exemple: over years, I have bought and organised a large and powerful set of Alchemy libraries. At some point Camel Audio closed shop. Apple bought the virtual instrument and set it to be Logic Pro X only. Today, my virtual Alchemy instrument and libraries still play in DP, but no support to be expected anymore. I guess, one day they will stop playing fine with future OS or DP releases.[/quote]

Ah, I should've been more clear! I mean "stock" music libraries, such as Audio Network or Music Bed, where filmmakers peruse and license songs from contributing artists.