The Secret Death of the Electric Guitar

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

The Secret Death of the Electric Guitar

Post by crescentoon55 »

Just saw this article in the Washington Post... https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ic-guitar/
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The Secret Death of the Electric Guitar

Post by Guitar Gaz »

The guy who turned down the Beatles said guitar groups were on the way out.....
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I read the article. Basically, the numbers don't lie. Sales of guitars are way off, but I think much of that is we have a generation of kids that don't aspire to play an instrument in the same way we did.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

I got a 1997 Honda from 1 of my students almost 3 years ago, for free but I've had to put money in it. So far there
is a Dave Smith OB 6,a Hammond XK 5 and a Les Paul 1959 reissue in it. But if it stops costing
me a bunch of money then I'll be Rockin'!
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm curious to know how much the used market affects sales. Also, how do sales of other types of instruments compare? Drums? Keyboards? Brass? Woodwinds? How about bass guitars?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

BTW, how about MPC and other *launch type* devices?
Perhaps, you've noticed I didn't use the word *instruments*...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

The synth market seems almost completely dead, too, as far as I'm concerned. Basically every company that makes keyboards has had to be financed by consumer DJ and EDM machines, that's where companies make most of their money. I'd be optimistic if synth manufacturer's were bolstered by low-end entry-level keyboards for beginners, but that doesn't seem to be happening. The devices I tend to see are intended for people who aren't even interested in learning how to play. They'll have more rhythm-maker buttons and nobs than keys.

With the economy the way it is, live music has been hit pretty hard. Venue's are stretched pretty thin. So many have kicked out the band in favor of a DJ who can bring in the bodies. Unfortunately, they learn pretty quickly that bodies alone don't sit and drink beer, usually they come already strung out and don't buy much, and the venue's suffer, but then they're too broke to hire back the band. But all those bodies DO see is the guy at the control panel, waving his arms around with naked people all around him, and they want to be like him... so they go get the latest Ableton or Traktor gadget and try to make it big. It's kind of a downward spiral and it hurts everybody.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy