14 Rules You Can’t Break If You Want To Turn Pro

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 14 Rules You Can’t Break If You Want To Turn Pro

Post by Phil O »

And about the original post - I think Lassiter hit the nail on the head. Wouldn't things in the studio be better if everyone followed those rules?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:BTW, Mike Halloran.

Dude, I have nothing but respect for you. I really do. So don't take this the wrong way, but that picture of you is bad. It's really, really bad. My avatar looks more like me than that picture looks like you. You should have that picture cleaned and burned, then shoot the photographer. Just saying. 8)

Phil
That's my new passport photo. Gawdawful would be kind. The new regs don't let you smile.

I should have used software and done it myself. If I'm still around in 10 years...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've got this big fake smile on my Driver's license. I figure, if I get stopped by a cop, maybe the goofy picture is good for an ice breaker.

Oh yeah. You should still shoot the photographer. 8)
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

In all my passport and license pictures I look like either Beaver Cleaver or Charles Manson. Mike's looks pretty good in comparison.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:
Phil O wrote:BTW, Mike Halloran.

Dude, I have nothing but respect for you. I really do. So don't take this the wrong way, but that picture of you is bad. It's really, really bad. My avatar looks more like me than that picture looks like you. You should have that picture cleaned and burned, then shoot the photographer. Just saying. 8)

Phil
That's my new passport photo. Gawdawful would be kind. The new regs don't let you smile.
Did you mean "Gandalful."

YOU SHALL NOT PASSPORT!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

HCMarkus wrote: Did you mean "Gandalful."

YOU SHALL NOT PASSPORT!
:rofl:

Now that's funny! Very clever.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
HCMarkus wrote: Did you mean "Gandalful."

YOU SHALL NOT PASSPORT!
:rofl:

Now that's funny! Very clever.
Coming from the guy that coined the still-makes-me-smile "MLC" moniker, high praise. Thank you!
MIDI Life Crisis

HCMarkus wrote: Coming from the guy that coined the still-makes-me-smile "MLC" moniker, high praise. Thank you!
It actually stands for Moe, Larry, and Curly...

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
HCMarkus wrote: Coming from the guy that coined the still-makes-me-smile "MLC" moniker, high praise. Thank you!
It actually stands for Moe, Larry, and Curly...

I stand corrected. One helluva band you've got there. :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis

We only get the best gigs! LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Tonio

Post by Tonio »

LOL, that's classic :mrgreen:
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've broken and am breaking many of those rules. (Fortunately, I still get calls for gigs.)

There are some important guidelines (going beyond those that pertain to music specifically) that pertain to being a human and having some emotional intelligence. Or, if like me, you lack emotional intelligence, you try to listen when you get criticism.

1. Try to be kind & respectful, even when your buttons get pushed.

2. Don't assume the worst in people. Find common ground if you can, if you can't, then ask questions. It's ok to make distance from people who treat you badly. They may not be aware that they are "punching downward".

3. Be a life-long learner, not just about your craft, but about a wide range of interests and especially about yourself. It's ok to rely on your experiences, but keep making new ones and learn from them.

4. Use your time on this planet as splendedly as you can. You get one life (IMHO), so make the most of it. Don't do it for the awards. Fun is the reward.

5. Forgive yourself and others for messing up. Start fresh when you can.

6. Be kind to animals.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Wow, I could barely make it through that list, the guy is so full of attitude. I also disagree with several (but not all) of his observations/advice. It's too bad because I was BLOWN AWAY by his playing when my company was running sound for the Prince tour and I got to hear some of the excerpts and even a video shoot. I hate it when my heroes turn out to be jerks.

As for professionalism, it is QUITE RARE in my experience, so I REALLY appreciate it when I encounter it, but I'm a very patient person and I have a day job so I can AFFORD to be nice to people and loyal etc. I also know how to make people feel relaxed and inspired in the studio and to help them grow without being condescending, mean, or arrogant. Some people CAN learn.

Having said that, there is NOTHING that angers me more than no-shows, as I have a super-busy schedule and often make deep personal sacrifices in order to be available for others. I find that guitarists are the worst in this regard; constant "flight risks" due to fragile egos and self-sabotaging tendencies. They also are the most likely to get into "song ownership" battles -- in the midst of a session. I try to be a good baby-sitter, but do better with ACTUAL kids vs. immature adults.

When I have done sessions for others (it's been a few years, thankfully -- I much more enjoy running sessions than attending them), it's been all-business, what can I do for you, no unnecessary banter, and especially no playing except when actually recording. It's a matter of respect and being aware that studio time isn't free. One can call that "professionalism" but it's also sheer pragmatism.

When I am running a session, I consider my most important role to be the one who maintains focus and perspective as well as makes the musicians feel relaxed, comfortable, inspired, excited, and challenged to go beyond whatever preconceptions they brought with them.

The area where I would most like to improve is in negotiating conflict within a band -- if this is even possible as a "third party" then becomes the mutual target in many cases. This is why George Martin walked out during The White Album sessions; he realized there was nothing he could do to "fix" the band fissures. I have yet to encounter a band that can hold it together to see a common vision to its full fruition. Self-sabotage is the main reason people don't make it, in my opinion.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mhschmieder wrote:Wow, I could barely make it through that list, the guy is so full of attitude. I also disagree with several (but not all) of his observations/advice.
So are you just going to leave us hanging or tell us what you disagree with? The suspense!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The entire perspective of the list is self-absorbed and self-centered, so I would just start with a clean slate that projects the right attitude and perspective, in compiling a list.

As I said, I am lucky that I am financially able to avoid working with people like that. I have no interest in being famous, so am happy that each of my situations is by mutual choice.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH