Licensing question

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Licensing question

Post by labman »

Need some advice. In this day and age, do those of you who do licensing for your work find it beneficial to engage an agent for finding homes for your pieces? Or do the one stop shops like KillerTracks etc negate the need for having your own marketing agent? Thanks for your expertise and experience.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Licensing question

Post by FMiguelez »

I'm starting to get into licensing my music to international libraries as well.

As far as I can see, there are too many libraries out there... Only a few are worth your time and fewer pay decent money. There are exclusive libraries, non-exclusive libraries, some pay money upfront, some don't. Some pay for sync events, some don't.

Also, it seems to be VERY HARD to get into the GOOD and worth libraries. If you manage to get your music into some of those, I don't think you'd need an agent for this, since they will do that work for you (for a price, depending on the library). All you need is to shop your music to these libraries, get accepted in as many as possible, and let them place your music for you.

Now, if you do know a good agent who wants you, I'm sure he could get you other great placements, so you could also work with him. The more chances of placements you have, the better.

With the Mexican TV shows I've been writing for, I've been lucky that they sell them all over the world, so for this music all the licensing becomes "automatic".
But I really want to get all that music (that I already have and aired) in those libraries to make even more royalty money from those same tracks. Otherwise they wouldn't be used for any other shows... A waste! :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
labman

Post by labman »

Hey FM. I very much appreciate your details.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Sean Kenny

Post by Sean Kenny »

labman wrote:Need some advice. In this day and age, do those of you who do licensing for your work find it beneficial to engage an agent for finding homes for your pieces? Or do the one stop shops like KillerTracks etc negate the need for having your own marketing agent? Thanks for your expertise and experience.
The music library IS the agent effectively.

I guess the real problem is competition. Then again the proliferation of channels means many more outlets.

The beauty of technology is that it has empowered anyone to make music

This is also the problem!
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you are talking about placement with a distributer who licenses your music, that is more of a service and it can (I suppose) make money for people. If you are talking about licensing for broadcast (internet or otherwise) then your licensing agent (ASCAP, BMI, etc.) should be your source of information and clearing house for your catalogue.

Things have changed a lot in the last few years. I used to get licensing income from TV, concert halls, and other traditional sources. In the last few years BMI has been paying for downloads from Amazon and other online distribution venues as well as more general sounding sources that are still mysterious to me. I should know more about those sources, but I'm just happy they are being tapped to my benefit and that is because BMI (and presumably ASCAP) are really knuckling down on the online and non-traditional broadcast and distribution outlets.

As far as placement goes, I don't have any suggestions except to try and work with good people who will get your work out there (preferably on TV since that is really where the $$$ is). No easy task, mind you. I can't even begin to tell you how many frogs I've kissed in the past 40 years that I've been actively composing. You just gotta LOVE reptiles to work in this business... :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
labman

Post by labman »

Thanks for the tips