Author's Rights for film music tracks in US

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Author's Rights for film music tracks in US

Post by supersonic »

Hi Guys. I am looking into the issue of author's rights for music (songs) written for an animation movie series. Here in Poland selling one's rights is not something one sees often. Most of us are members of ZAIKS (local rights organisation) and we cannot legally do that. The producer has proposed a friend composer of mine to buy out his rights all together. What it would mean in practice is that the composer forfeits his rights from CD sales of the songs included in the animation ( there are lots of them). The producer gave an example of "Let it go" from "Frozen" where apparently Disney paid the composers upfront in exchange for those rights. Is this something that is happens regularly? How does this work over there? I hope my question is clear...
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Author's Rights for film music tracks in US

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would ask your licensing agency (ZAIKS) for guidance as a start. Buyouts for something like that should have a very decent price tag attached, IMO. The guys I know who write for the likes of Disney, etc., retain broadcast income and screen credits, etc. That's probably the same with ZAIKS (you cannot sell the writer's share, only the publisher's share - which can be split by a percentage).

And frankly, if it's a big deal, a good attorney is essential to review, if not create, a "reasonable" agreement.

All that said, if a composer is just starting out and doesn't have a track record, and if the project can get them great PR and other exposure, that certainly has value and should be considered in the mix.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

My friend is actually a seasoned composer and has done many projects of that kind. It is the first time this issue has come up. I also have done a fair amount of work composing and never had that problem.
MIDI Life Crisis

Then congratulations are in order. He's reached the point where saying "No!" Is his best option.

Pass!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I actually played his lawyer and explained to the producer (it is his first movie production and he doesn't know how this works) and we have sorted this out :-). The rights stay with the composer, the producer has the freedom to do anything he likes with the music and everyone walks away happy. And I get to work with everyone as the sound engineer (music production and mix). A Happy Ending a la Americaine ;-)
MIDI Life Crisis

"Do anything he likes?" So if they excerpt a small section for a BMW commercial that's ok? I don't think so. The key words in the agreement should be "in timed relation to the picture." So yeah, use it for that movie, as written only. You gotta be specific to protect yourself.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

We see what you did there. Get out of here, you spammer!

Post reported. Brace yourself for some Doris footware!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:We see what you did there. Get out of here, you spammer!

Post reported. Brace yourself for some Doris footware!
GGGGGGONE!!!! :brucelee:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

I miss hunting for pirates... :arrrr: DAMN YOU, PDF MANUAL!!!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Awww. :( I missed it. I love it when James takes out the trash.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.