Film composers, should I have 5.1 capability?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Film composers, should I have 5.1 capability?

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

As a newer film composer with a couple payed film projects under my belt, I'm contemplating investing in a 5.1 surround setup. This would involve a new interface (828x perhaps), 3 extra JBL LSR305 monitors, a subwoofer, and more sound treatment (for all that extra bass flying around).

My question is, is this something worthwhile and marketable for an indie film composer trying to grow his business out of a small room studio? Does it make me more appealing to have the capability? There are many other "fun" things I can spend money on like synths and plugins....
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Film composers, should I have 5.1 capability?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

As a "newer" film composer I'd say "no." Get your experience and try to set a track record. If someone wants you to do a 5.1, make THEM buy the stuff you need and be sure they give you plenty of time to do it. At this point in your career you should focus on what you want to be known for. Unless you're already trained on post-audio and surround sound, I wouldn't advise too much diversification at an early career stage. Many of us "old guys" came from an analog audio background and worked in sound design and engineering gigs as well as playing and composing. That made adding surround to our bag of tricks a lot easier. Again, I would focus on scoring and let the producer worry about the mix unless you're also being paid to do post audio.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:As a "newer" film composer I'd say "no." Get your experience and try to set a track record. If someone wants you to do a 5.1, make THEM buy the stuff you need and be sure they give you plenty of time to do it. At this point in your career you should focus on what you want to be known for. Unless you're already trained on post-audio and surround sound, I wouldn't advise too much diversification at an early career stage. Many of us "old guys" came from an analog audio background and worked in sound design and engineering gigs as well as playing and composing. That made adding surround to our bag of tricks a lot easier. Again, I would focus on scoring and let the producer worry about the mix unless you're also being paid to do post audio.
Thank you for the advice!
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dix »

+1 what MLC said. I've never been asked deliver 5.1 mixes or stems as the composer of a film or TV project.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com