Barcodes - are they even relevant any more? Necessary?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Barcodes - are they even relevant any more? Necessary?

Post by Henry Robinett »

That says it all. Its been many years since I've released a CD. I'm about to release another one. I had my own label and had my own barcodes. I'm thinking of getting more. But my label is kind of defunct and I'd like a more modern barcode with more info. BUT is it even necessary any more? When I release it through Tunecore I believe they provide their own barcodes. And the code that's part of the master. What's that?

If anyone knows, please chime in.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
Henry Robinett

Re: Barcodes - are they even relevant any more? Necessary?

Post by Henry Robinett »

After a good day of research and purchasing items I will report my findings. Since no one responded I can assume either nobody knows, cares, didn't see it in time, didn't care to respond.

Barcodes may indeed still be necessary. They are simply the product code that goes on the outside package of the CD. I had my barcodes since 1992. I thought perhaps they'd changed or been updated. They actually had, but only in a tiny way. I didn't have to BUY knew ones. All I had to do was supply the graphic design company who does them, actually the same one who printed the EPS barcodes for me way back in 1992, '93 and 2000. I had my own label then. I actually released CD for several artists, not just myself. So I had a handful of barcodes at the ready.

I spent $80 and bought my ISRC codes from USISRC.com. Each track needs it own code for identifying purposes, especially if you hope to get airplay on radio, online etc..

So basically I'm all set up. This was the last piece before final mastering and artwork. Just need to proofread the text for the CD again and I think I'm good to go!
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Whether you need to supply your own bar codes or not depends on how you are being distributed. You can get them from many sources including CD Baby.

I believe that everyone should have their own but if you are signed to a label, they will supply theirs.

$80 for ISRCs? I don't remember paying that much. Perhaps I did
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Didn't I read recently that bar codes cost like $1500 per code? And iTunes requires them, so I'm not on iTunes. Besides, I don't sell my music. I lease it... LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

It depends. I originally bought my barcodes -- lifetime -- back in 1992. I was stuck on the fact that I had already gotten them. And so I had. The ISRC is standard price. That's standard issue. Lifetime. Never needs to be paid again, as far as I can tell.

I always had my own label and I feel better owning my own barcodes and ISRC stuff and not sitting on the back of Tunecore or CDBaby and the like. I'm just funny that way. I know they provide them. That's OK. They will take mine.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Didn't I read recently that bar codes cost like $1500 per code? And iTunes requires them, so I'm not on iTunes. Besides, I don't sell my music. I lease it... LOL
That's ridiculous. I don't know where you read that but that's very much false information.

I signed up for lifetime back in 1992 for $300. It's probably much less than that now. But I had a CD label with a bunch of other artists. It was well worth it for me. I gave out barcodes to other folks, or sold them for cheap. Nothing like $1,500 per code. Once you have the code I just use it and move it incrementally.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Henry Robinett wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Didn't I read recently that bar codes cost like $1500 per code? And iTunes requires them, so I'm not on iTunes. Besides, I don't sell my music. I lease it... LOL
That's ridiculous. I don't know where you read that but that's very much false information.

I signed up for lifetime back in 1992 for $300. It's probably much less than that now. But I had a CD label with a bunch of other artists. It was well worth it for me. I gave out barcodes to other folks, or sold them for cheap. Nothing like $1,500 per code. Once you have the code I just use it and move it incrementally.
Hmmm... I'm confused about that. You're talking about what used to be called UPC codes, right? I know companies like CD Baby will give you a code, however from what I understand you're utilizing THEIR prefix. Which isn't necessarily a big problem, but the code will identify it with CD Baby, for example. I joined GS1 and bought my own prefix, but it wasn't cheap. I think $750 up front and then a $150 renewal every year, although that renewal may just be to use their online services like Data Driver, etc that lets you create new codes and designate what product is associated with that code.

I also have an ISRC prefix as well. Can't remember if that cost anything or not. Geez... gotta dig that up.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Last time I checked, you can get bar codes from CD Baby for $6 – less if you distribute through them.
I think $750 up front and then a $150 renewal every year
That is looking familiar

This info is a few years old. The last time I researched this was when I bought my ISRC prefix in 2013. I looked up the receipt – $80 is what I did pay but it's lifetime or 100 years so I'm good with that.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

James Steele wrote:
Henry Robinett wrote:

Hmmm... I'm confused about that. You're talking about what used to be called UPC codes, right? I know companies like CD Baby will give you a code, however from what I understand you're utilizing THEIR prefix. Which isn't necessarily a big problem, but the code will identify it with CD Baby, for example. I joined GS1 and bought my own prefix, but it wasn't cheap. I think $750 up front and then a $150 renewal every year, although that renewal may just be to use their online services like Data Driver, etc that lets you create new codes and designate what product is associated with that code.

I also have an ISRC prefix as well. Can't remember if that cost anything or not. Geez... gotta dig that up.
REALLY??!!! I spent $300 for lifetime barcodes in 1992, as I said. I guess I bought at the right time. Yes UPC codes.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Henry Robinett wrote:REALLY??!!! I spent $300 for lifetime barcodes in 1992, as I said. I guess I bought at the right time. Yes UPC codes.
Well, what you have is a PREFIX. And when I bought my own it was $750 up front and I renew it every year for $150, although it may be that the renewal is just for access to newsletters (which I don't bother reading) and use of their online tools. I need to contact them one day to find out exactly what renewals are paying for in case I'm paying for something I don't need.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

Lol. Well yes, you buy a prefix. But there's no need to renew every year, at least as I understand it. I gave them the prefix and the additional numbers. But $750. Damn. I lucked out by being early.
All the best,

Henry Robinett

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Henry Robinett wrote:Lol. Well yes, you buy a prefix. But there's no need to renew every year, at least as I understand it. I gave them the prefix and the additional numbers. But $750. Damn. I lucked out by being early.
I better call them. I get an invoice every year from them.