Blockchain tech as the ulitimate in copyright?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Blockchain tech as the ulitimate in copyright?

Post by BKK-OZ »

I've been reading up on some recent developments in using blockchain technology as a means to control rights over art (esp. art in digital form).

Of course, music=art, and its all digital nowadays.
Although it doesn't look like anyone (?) is focusing on blockchain tech to secure music rights, I suppose it is just a matter of time.

This blockchain stuff holds some promise methinks.

Thoughts?

Some implementations:
- Monegraph
- Cointemporary
- Ascribe
(Article on Ascribe here and Ascribe FAQ here)
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Re: Blockchain tech as the ulitimate in copyright?

Post by mikehalloran »

Unless that service includes automatic registration of the copyrights with the LOC, any such contracts are only enforceable in the states. Copyright violations are handled in Federal courts where those contract issues aren't considered.

In the USA, published works require proper registration with the Library of Congress Copyright Office to be fully protected. If not properly registered, the creator has no rights to sue unless the work was unpublished. The case of those Instagram photos used by Prince without permission is a good case in point — because they were already published i. e. distributed to the public on the Internet, and the Copyrights weren't registered within three months of creation, there was no recourse for their use as long as Prince didn't claim authorship of the original works.

Unpublished works only require proof of creation. Putting something on the web isn't a bad way to do this. Unfortunately, you lose the rights exclusive to unpublished works when you publish them. Here's the catch: You have three months to register your copyright properly as a published work. Failure to do this means that you can't enforce your rights to be paid.

Say I put my latest song on Soundcloud and a producer uses it in a movie without paying me a year later. Someone hears it in the movie, records it and has a hit. Where's my money? My lawyer wants to see my Form PA with a check in the box for Published. Oops... I now file but I can only go after monies due me from the registration date— anything I was owed up to that point is gone. Aha! I have a form SR and checked PA and this song was third on the list — oh no, only the first work is fully protected. I am owed for the use of my sound recording by the movie producer but not for any other use. I'm out of luck for any cues played by someone else and still can't collect from ths guy who covered my song.

Watermarking your work through digital means is already possible and has no effect on this. If there was a way to keep your works from being copied, that would get my attention but this? No. I'm not saying that being able to enforce a contract in state court is a bad thing but it doesn't protect your copyrights.

My opinions are my own. I am not a lawyer and I am not giving legal advice. If you require legal advice, consult an attorney.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanks for your thoughtful response Mike.

As I said, doing some reading and research on the topic.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BKK-OZ wrote:Interesting article/analysis: http://thetrichordist.com/2015/08/20/un ... he-hype-2/
He brought up the same issue I did. It would be interesting to see this in an article by a copyright attorney. I bet only one paragraph would be spent on the technology.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Interesting Billboard article: http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... tion=false

PeerTracks, according to its president Cédric Cobban, is a "music streaming and music retail platform that allows for fan engagement and peer-to-peer talent discovery." PeerTracks will use the blockchain for its transactions, paying streaming revenue on a per-user-share basis, meaning that the revenue each user generates will go directly to the artists users are actually listening to.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

And another article in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgehowar ... the-union/
I believe the energy and contention around blockchain tech are heating up because:

1. We’re seeing actual application of the technology

2. Those who don’t understand the technology/the implications are finding it harder to ignore, and are becoming defensive
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BKK-OZ wrote:And another article in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgehowar ... the-union/
I believe the energy and contention around blockchain tech are heating up because:

2. Those who don’t understand the technology/the implications are finding it harder to ignore, and are becoming defensive
This article is not encumbered by anyone knowing what they are talking about.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Beginning of a music marketplace based on blockchain tech: http://ujomusic.com
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

mikehalloran wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:And another article in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/georgehowar ... the-union/

This article is not encumbered by anyone knowing what they are talking about.
Your opinion on the article is harsh and an over reach.
I think people interested in the topic should read the article and decide for themselves - odds are quite good that the author does actually know a fair bit about this, here is his bio:
I am an Associate Professor of Music Business/Management at Berklee College of Music and Co-Founder of Music Audience Exchange. Via my strategic consulting and management firm, I have worked with companies and individuals such as: CVS/pharmacy, Ora, Brown University, Carly Simon, Mark Isham, Ashley Longshore, and others. I am the former President of Rykodisc, one of the original founders of TuneCore, and COO of Norton, LLC (the parent company of Concert Vault, Daytrotter, and Paste Magazine).
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

And where are his credentials on the issue of Copyright? Yea...

There are no two sides when one doesn't understand the issues. Unfortunately, the nature of my job means that I only get to speak in generalities. Otherwise, I would go through and point out the garbage line by line. There are bald faced big ones being told.

These articles focus on the tech and that's where they are wrong. The real issue is Copyright, at least in the US.

If there were a hundred such articles – and their probably will be soon enough since they seem to be parroting each other – it won't change that.

I'm not saying there's no merit in the technical aspect but the US Congress and the Justice Dept. have to make/allow some fundamental changes in the law and how it is applied. Till then, good ideas are a dime a dozen and there are plenty of them around.

The first article written by a copyright attorney on the practical applications of such technology will be the one worth reading.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Comprehensive (29 pages) and thought-provoking piece on the future of the music industry.
The recommendations in this report, including adoption of appropriate technology by those throughout the value chain, along with a combination of certification through a Fair Music NGO, a registry database, adoption of the U.S. Copyright Office recommendations, exploration
of a blockchain royalty log, and education projects for creators, could go a long way toward increasing the value of music and providing a fair level of compensation and protection for those who create the music we enjoy every day.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

An article discussing the report I linked to in my previous post: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ney-traps-
The Recording Industry Association of America, a trade group for record labels and distributors, takes some issue with some of the arguments. "Unfortunately, some of the report's findings are flawed and based on anecdotes, misinformation and unsubstantiated rumors, rather than facts and analysis. And some publicly available information didn't find its way into the report at all," says Jonathan Lamy, a spokesman for the group, in an email. According to RIAA, the percentage of revenue that record labels pay in royalties has increased in recent years.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

For the handful of us living in the land of Oz (and probably elsewhere outside the US), it is worth noting that there is no copyright registration system here, that copyright for works is created when the work is created, and that our copyrights are protected by treaties and internation conventions. This from a circular put out by the Australian Copyright Council:
Some countries, such as the United States, have systems for registering copyright material. As discussed above, it is not necessary for Australian material to be registered in order to receive copyright protection, if the country is a party to one of the copyright treaties. In some cases, however, there may be practical advantages in getting registration if the work will be published or distributed in a country with a registration system.
Therefore, non-US jurisdictions may find more immediate value in the Blockchain than our US-based cousins.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

[New Article] Blockchain tech as the ulitimate in copyright

Post by BKK-OZ »

Interesting article over @ Rhizome: http://rhizome.org/editorial/2015/nov/0 ... lockchain/

Refers to this blockchain-ey annotated article about art (and more) and the blockchain: http://futuresalongtheblockchain.com/
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku