IRespectMusic.org

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: IRespectMusic.org

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:
...Twice I was recruited to join groups only to be told that they just went into the studio for their new album but they were using the old member for the recording. I wasn't going to be on any tracks nor was I going to share. I let them know that, since I would be touring to support this and would be expected to push this product from the stage, I expected to be on some of the cuts.
I've got a similar situation. I recorded a band a few years back. They have three CDs which they sell at gigs. Not much money here, but they are making a little extra with sales. Now, I'm IN the band, but not on the CDs, and I already made money recording the projects. Should I share in the profits from CD sales? The question has come up, but hasn't been decided yet. Whatever the band leader decides is fine with me, but it's a little tricky don't you think?

Phil
Do you push the product? Not the band, do you personally take an active part in the sales? If so, I'd ask for a cut.

Should you have shared a producer credit? Hard to negotiate backwards but can be done.

The easiest way is to record another album with your full participation.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

All good advice, Mike. Another CD is in on the agenda so I'm covered there.

In answer to your questions, yes I do push product to some extent. I got paid well for engineering the CDs so I'm not too concerned about producer credit. (I got my money up front.) The next CD will be an entirely different deal now that I'm in the band. I haven't even thought about how we'll do business on this one.

Phil

[edit] My apologies for hijacking this thread. :oops:
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I haven't even thought about how we'll do business on this one.
Apparently, you have begun and this is a good thing. One reason it's important to have an agreement is because there are other opportunities out there for getting paid.

Do you always need an attorney? Maybe yes, maybe no. These books will help you determine when that is the case. A plus is that you don't have to rack up billable hours asking basic questions when the answers are found here:

All You Need to Know About the Music Business: Eighth Edition Hardcover by Donald S. Passman
http://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-About-M ... 1451682468

Music Money and Success 7th Edition: The Insider's Guide to Making Money in the Music Business Paperback
by Jeffrey Brabec (Author) , Todd Brabec (Author)
http://www.amazon.com/Music-Money-Succe ... 0825673690

Both are available in Kindle editions.

If these books don't prompt you to take the business of the Music Business seriously, you didn't pay attention. Neither book is quite up-to-date* with everything going on today but they're the most current I could find and a very good start.

*The 9th edition of the Passman book is scheduled for release November 10, 2015. I will preorder it, no doubt.
http://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-About-M ... +Hardcover
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A tangent to the OP regarding international royalties from ASCAP. If you're a member, you should have been emailed this today:

http://www.ascap.com/playback/2015/09/a ... lties.aspx
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm a member, but didn't get that in my email so far.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote:I'm a member, but didn't get that in my email so far.
I had to call Membership in LA to update my info get on the current email list.