CD on torrent sites before release date

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Basstrup
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CD on torrent sites before release date

Post by Basstrup »

D&#$ Received copies of CD, overnighted from plant yesterday. However FedEx was beat by pirates!!! The tracks including cover was already on newleakedalbum dot com !!!!

What I have found out so far is:

the site is hosted by linuxpl.com servers in Holland and Germany

domain name is registered by GoDaddy (and don't get me started on that company either)

client account at the hosting company is mattys

site is made with wordpress and ironically includes special plugin for copyrightprotection.

the owner of the website has a google analytics id of UA-53498176-1

and a google adsense account ca-pub-2263129511506796

so Godaddy and Google knows who this is, but of course will not talk.

Only place the leak could potentially happy is a CD plant or Aggregator used to submit to iTunes and such.

So now artist will have to chat with CD plant and Aggregator to see if they have any employee whos name might match "mattys"

but of course this ain't new http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... c-business
Analog is great... We got both WOW and Flutter - what's your bias?
MOTU: DP9 - 2 x MachV - 2 x MX4 - 2 x 1296 - 2 x 896HD - 1 x UltraLite AVB - 1 x MOTU Monitor 8 - 1 x 24i - 3 x MTP AV | UA Apollo Quad | UA Arrow | SSL 2+ || Digi 002Rack | Mackie control + expanders | UAD-2 PCIe card | 2 x Mac Pro | Mac Mini Late 2018 | OS X 10.14.6
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: CD on torrent sites before release date

Post by monkey man »

Bad luck, Basstrup.

The only positive I can think of is that someone must've figured your work was worth torrenting!

You never know, it could serve you in the long run in terms of publicity / getting your work out there.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here