Anyone here using Bandcamp?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone here using Bandcamp?

Post by BKK-OZ »

I've just set myself up on Bandcamp, wondering what others' experiences of the platform have been...
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
dix

Re: Anyone here using Bandcamp?

Post by dix »

While I sure buy a lot of music from bandcamp, my own bandcamp hasn't netted all that much money. However, I don't play out. I think it's more of a tool for active, performing bands and artists. Best thing about it is it's free! To have music on iTunes you have to go through something like Tunecore, which costs money.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Plus Apple takes a 29 cent cut on a 99 cent single, for example.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

From a previous thread I learned about Distrokid, which seems like a pretty good deal - one flat fee per year for distribution to all the major stores (iTunes, etc.).

Bandcamp has been pretty easy to use so far - didn't take me long at all to set up a little test.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Interesting article canvassing post-copyright business models:

If copyright’s a dud, what business models do work for creatives?

https://theconversation.com/if-copyrigh ... ives-36755
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Atif
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Atif »

I don't usually post my stuff until I have completed both the audio and visuals. But I'm not sure how long it will take for me to complete some of the videos I am working on (working in 25fps in 3d is a bit of a time soak!), so I have decided to put up some of the audio that I have finalized recently, just to get them out there.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BKK-OZ wrote:Interesting article canvassing post-copyright business models:

If copyright’s a dud, what business models do work for creatives?

https://theconversation.com/if-copyrigh ... ives-36755
Nothing like a stupid little article that says nothing and means even less.

In the USA, the Dept. of Justice, courts, Congress, States, PROs and industry groups are all looking at ways to fix Copyright and get creators paid fairly for their work. It hasn't happened yet and it won't for awhile. The good news is that the process has started.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

Bit harsh to call it a 'stupid article'.
While he doesn't offer any silver bullets, he does a competent job of canvassing the current situation.

And if you really believe that anybody, the U.S. government included, had got a handle on what the solutions is/are, I've got a bridge I think you might be interested in...
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BKK-OZ wrote:Bit harsh to call it a 'stupid article'.
While he doesn't offer any silver bullets, he does a competent job of canvassing the current situation.

And if you really believe that anybody, the U.S. government included, had got a handle on what the solutions is/are, I've got a bridge I think you might be interested in...
No, not at all. The article was written just last February. The author is clearly clueless to what has happened up to that point.

Anyway, if you would like to kept up to date on the latest news regarding copyright, possible solutions, what business models are and are not working, I highly recommend subscribing to The Deans List aka ASCAP Daily Brief, a daily email from Dean Kay at ASCAP. It usually has 8 - 10 articles a day culled from around the world (today has only one, though). You don't need to be an ASCAP member to receive it.

You should be able to view it here along with the last couple of weeks:
http://www.ascap.com/news-and-events/2015.aspx

dailybrief@ascap.com
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:... I highly recommend subscribing to The Deans List aka ASCAP Daily Brief, a daily email from Dean Kay at ASCAP. It usually has 8 - 10 articles a day culled from around the world (today has only one, though). You don't need to be an ASCAP member to receive it.
I get this, and it's pure gold! I'm also an ASCAP member as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

...and then, of course, we have this new tide.
Cheers,
BK

- M Kaku
Unicorn Sparkles

Post by Unicorn Sparkles »

Yep, you can find me on there as The Hunt Saboteurs.
Unicorn Sparkles

Post by Unicorn Sparkles »

mikehalloran wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:Bit harsh to call it a 'stupid article'.

No, not at all. The article was written just last February. The author is clearly clueless to what has happened up to that point.

Anyway, if you would like to kept up to date on the latest news regarding copyright, possible solutions, what business models are and are not working, I highly recommend subscribing to The Deans List aka ASCAP Daily Brief, a daily email from Dean Kay at ASCAP. It usually has 8 - 10 articles a day culled from around the world (today has only one, though). You don't need to be an ASCAP member to receive it.

You should be able to view it here along with the last couple of weeks:
http://www.ascap.com/news-and-events/2015.aspx

dailybrief@ascap.com
Cool, is your avatar Jon Anderson? My mum used to go out with his brother, Tony.

Nothing to do with this thread. :unicorn: