U2's new album "just appeared" in my itunes library.

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
SixStringGeek
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

U2's new album "just appeared" in my itunes library.

Post by SixStringGeek »

This explains the deal a bit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/10/busin ... .html?_r=1
To release U2’s album free, Apple paid the band and Universal an unspecified fee as a blanket royalty and committed to a marketing campaign for the band worth up to $100 million, according to several people briefed on the deal. That marketing will include a global television campaign, the first piece of which was a commercial that was shown during the event.

Bono, U2’s lead singer, alluded to the deal himself at Apple’s event. After the band performed, he and Mr. Cook playfully negotiated over how the album could be released through iTunes “in five seconds.” Mr. Cook said it could if the album was given away free.

“But first you would have to pay for it,” Bono said, “because we’re not going in for the free music around here.”

Mr. Oseary, who took over management of the band less than a year ago, stressed in a phone interview after the event that the music still had value even though it was being given away.

“This is a gift from Apple to their customers,” Mr. Oseary said. “They bought it and they are giving it away.”
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: U2's new album "just appeared" in my itunes library.

Post by James Steele »

I still haven't really been able to process this and think the situation over. Some analysis of the implications for musicians who aren't the stature of U2 is finally rolling in. In some ways, it sort of feels like U2 made a heap of money for themselves, but at the same time sort of screwed the little guy who's still trying to actually sell his album for $10 when a major band is giving it away... and actually it's a large corporation giving it away... the band got paid.

I haven't listened to it, so I don't know if it's particular good or not, but then that's subjective. Funny thing is U2 basically got guaranteed money. If people didn't like the album, the market would have decided how much U2 would have earned. Now it doesn't matter. Sort of like when you get a black jack at the table and the dealer has an Ace showing, you have the option to get "even money" for your blackjack. It doesn't pay 5:2, but you're guaranteed something. Every player with any smarts takes the sure thing. If putting out a release is a *gamble*, U2 was smart and took the sure bet courtesy One Infinite Loop. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Doesn't bother me, makes perfect sense. In some ways, I find it kind of refreshing for a major mega corporation to still have a hard-on for one band. It all started because Steve Jobs was a raving U2 fan. Fact is, they could have chosen some other band-of-the-year that was charting a lot better, but they're in it for the long haul, and holy •••• so is U2. It's a good match, a band that's relatively big in the charts but has a 30 year history and lot of lasting power. I'm sure many board members would have rather gone with One Direction or something of that ilk (especially now that so many tweens are buying smartphones). I would have gone with Rush (especially if we're talking lasting power), but I'm not sure how big of a Geddy fan Jobs would have been.

All I'm saying is, Apple could have done A LOT worse, always had a huge respect for U2. One of the few bands with really good music to actually get what they deserve.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. I would have preferred Rush, but Rush probably isn't as chic and Geddy Lee isn't flying around the world taking up various causes, so maybe Rush lacks the "socially conscious" credentials needed to be true heroes in the bay area?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Re: U2's new album

Post by Guitar Gaz »

James Steele wrote:Yeah. I would have preferred Rush, but Rush probably isn't as chic and Geddy Lee isn't flying around the world taking up various causes, so maybe Rush lacks the "socially conscious" credentials needed to be true heroes in the bay area?
Agree - Rush would have been good. The U2 album is okay if you like U2 as it is very U2 in a generic sense - not necessarily a good or bad thing. They make their money from tours and merchandise so the album giveaway is just a part of the brand - sadly a less important part of the package than albums used to be.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Re: U2's new album

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Yeah. I would have preferred Rush
Me too, but Rush wouldn't have done it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
James Steele wrote:Yeah. I would have preferred Rush
Me too, but Rush wouldn't have done it.
True enough.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I don't really get it. I've never bought music on-line as I don't like lossy compression and/or being ripped off for a set rate per "song" (I won't go into the story about my run in w/ the iTunes manager, at a private event, and trying to explain how that term has little if any meaning in quite a few genres, in particular with regards to pricing structures per "track").

So I guess if you buy music on-line and have an iTunes Account (or whatever it's called), you get the U2 album for free? Maybe that's what the new iTunes update was about the other day that I refused to install as I was in the middle of a session.

To summarize, I have no context for understanding this news story, as I don't know how iTunes works as a service or whatever. I don't know if people pay subscriptions so that there is some royalty that is getting doled out proportionally.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

It didn't show up in my iTunes library.

Maybe that because I live in the land of Oz?
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

For me iTunes has become a confusing dog's dinner.

It's not clear whether the U2 album was given out in Canada. I have auto download of new purchases turned on. If I go to iTunes Store, it says I got it, labels it as purchased and that it has already been downloaded to my library, but it's not there. If I go to the list of purchased items at the store, it is not in the list.

In fact most of my purchases are not listed. The links between my library and the store are a mess. If I go to "It Goes To 11" in my library, and link to that song in the store, it lists it twice -- once as purchased, once as not purchased.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

bayswater wrote:For me iTunes has become a confusing dog's dinner.

It's not clear whether the U2 album was given out in Canada. I have auto download of new purchases turned on. If I go to iTunes Store, it says I got it, labels it as purchased and that it has already been downloaded to my library, but it's not there. If I go to the list of purchased items at the store, it is not in the list.

In fact most of my purchases are not listed. The links between my library and the store are a mess. If I go to "It Goes To 11" in my library, and link to that song in the store, it lists it twice -- once as purchased, once as not purchased.
I had to log into iCloud first - a bit fiddly - finally found out how to download it - so not automatically there.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't have iTunes linked to iCloud. Maybe that's the problem.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:I don't have iTunes linked to iCloud. Maybe that's the problem.
Nor do I, maybe that is why I haven't got it either.

I don't mind m a bit of U2, and I have no philosophical or ethical worries about it being free, but I'm not signing up to iCloud just to get this album.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

BKK-OZ wrote:
bayswater wrote:I don't have iTunes linked to iCloud. Maybe that's the problem.
Nor do I, maybe that is why I haven't got it either.
If that's the reason, it's a bit of creeping sloppiness on Apple's part. iTunes says the album is already in my library.