U2's new album "just appeared" in my itunes library.

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: U2's new album

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:It doesn't push the actual digital files to your phone. That was my point.
What if you have set devices to "automatically download new purchases"?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4539

That might annoy you if you were under the impression that it only happens when you choose to purchase things. Apple could start dumping all kinds of rubbish on your computer and phone.

EDIT:

You can make it go away with this.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/ap ... itunes/#p3
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: U2's new album "just appeared" in my itunes library.

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:
James Steele wrote:It doesn't push the actual digital files to your phone. That was my point.
What if you have set devices to "automatically download new purchases"?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4539

That might annoy you if you were under the impression that it only happens when you choose to purchase things. Apple could start dumping all kinds of rubbish on your computer and phone.
I'm sure it would. I'm glad I didn't set it that way.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

It's just clutter that I did not create and I don't #$%^ing want to even see it. I mean, what if they start doing that with a boatload of stuff? Then try finding your "purchased" music. And I don't even use my phone for music too often, so why do I have to even see it in the first place - whether the files d/l or not?

It's forced feeding... :koolaid:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

BKK-OZ wrote:It didn't show up in my iTunes library...
If you don't have your settings to allow push notifications (that's how I have it set up), the album won't show up until you log into your iTunes account and navigate to Purchased. It will appear with a cloud icon. Click on the cloud icon to download.

Per the other links, once you download, you can hide but never delete? Same as with totally useless apps and games that looked like something interesting at the time. Annoying.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:It's just clutter that I did not create and I don't #$%^ing want to even see it. I mean, what if they start doing that with a boatload of stuff? Then try finding your "purchased" music. And I don't even use my phone for music too often, so why do I have to even see it in the first place - whether the files d/l or not?

It's forced feeding... :koolaid:
Understand. Complain to Apple. All anyone else can do is give options about how to lessen the inconvenience. All I said, is at least it doesn't download to your phone. If you use some of the techniques posted, you don't ever have to see it again. Yes... I get the fact that your upset about it.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

What's so shocking about this whole debacle is how completely tone deaf its marketing was. How could Apple misjudge its customer base so completely? Is it hubris or stupidity? Who signed off on this?

I recall a few years ago that Apple released an iPod musical click game (sort of like "Guitar Hero") that came with music that was pre-installed. That music was called "Staff Picks" and was of some lesser known bands. I was really impressed with the quality of some of those bands, and to this day continue to follow them. I really enjoyed their plugs for fresh music. Why can't they continue to do this? The free iTunes songs are usually marketing for more established bands, and are usually not worth having, but at least the U2 album could have followed this model.

I don't get it. If Steve Balmer did this I'd say yeah, not cool, move on. But Cook? :shake:
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:What's so shocking about this whole debacle is how completely tone deaf its marketing was. How could Apple misjudge its customer base so completely? Is it hubris or stupidity? Who signed off on this?
Well, now that people are referring to this as a "spam" album, maybe Apple somehow didn't realize how devalued recorded music has become in the eyes of the consumer. They may have thought everyone would be floored by their great generosity. I have to wonder if we won't look back on this event as a great milestone toward furthering the perception of the public that recorded music has no value and should be free? You have a major rock band's album given away for free, and a good portion of the public just finds it annoying.

I do think that they should have come up with a way to keep it out of your "purchased items" and just change the price to "$0.00"... something that meant you'd have to go find the album and choose to download it for free. That would make sure those who don't care for U2 or just didn't want the album weren't bothered.

billf

Post by billf »

cuttime wrote:What's so shocking about this whole debacle is how completely tone deaf its marketing was. How could Apple misjudge its customer base so completely? Is it hubris or stupidity? Who signed off on this?

I recall a few years ago that Apple released an iPod musical click game (sort of like "Guitar Hero") that came with music that was pre-installed. That music was called "Staff Picks" and was of some lesser known bands. I was really impressed with the quality of some of those bands, and to this day continue to follow them. I really enjoyed their plugs for fresh music. Why can't they continue to do this? The free iTunes songs are usually marketing for more established bands, and are usually not worth having, but at least the U2 album could have followed this model.

I don't get it. If Steve Balmer did this I'd say yeah, not cool, move on. But Cook? :shake:
FWIW, it was announced today that Apple is providing a free tool that will allow people to nuke the album from their account.

That said, this is just one more reminder about one of the pitfalls of "the cloud." Things can appear or disappear on your account and devices without your consent or knowledge. Remember this debacle?
On Friday, it was “1984” and another Orwell book, “Animal Farm,” that were dropped down the memory hole — by Amazon.com.

In a move that angered customers and generated waves of online pique, Amazon remotely deleted some digital editions of the books from the Kindle devices of readers who had bought them.
As an aside, the early edition iPods came pre-loaded with songs, not as a game, but just on the device. Many of those songs were quite good too However, if you didn't like the songs, nothing was associated to your Apple account and you could just initialize the iPod to delete them. When Apple had released the .mac service, they gave away a lot of royalty free library music, but in that case you had to claim it and download it.

So Apple should know better because they've properly dealt with content giveaways in the past.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Just ran across this:

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:Just ran across this:

Aha!!! :)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Who signed off on this?
Now that one's easy: Every Baby-Boomer who thinks that War and/or Joshua Tree were the greatest post Beatles albums released by anybody–ever.

Personally, being a Boomer does not automatically make a big a fan of U2. While I think that War and Joshua Tree were the best U2 albums, I have managed to live this long without having purchased any U2. I keep thinking that I've probably heard both all the way through but am not certain. I'd go see them given the right opportunity; they're ok.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:Personally, being a Boomer does not automatically make a big a fan of U2. While I think that War and Joshua Tree were the best U2 albums, I have managed to live this long without having purchased any U2. I keep thinking that I've probably heard both all the way through but am not certain. I'd go see them given the right opportunity; they're ok.
Same here -- they're OK. I think of a U2 track as a reasonably interesting riff with interesting use of effects played for 5 minutes. A promising idea for a song. I guess we're all stuck in our own little time bubble.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oops... we've been had! The ad is a fake.

http://factually.gizmodo.com/vintage-ad ... 1635316161
cuttime wrote:Just ran across this:

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote:Oops... we've been had! The ad is a fake.

http://factually.gizmodo.com/vintage-ad ... 1635316161
Aw crap, and I was only just born about a minute ago!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I fell for it! :oops: Even posted it on my Facebook and that's how I found out.