Musician's Guide to Streaming: Pros & Cons, Spotify Et Al

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Musician's Guide to Streaming: Pros & Cons, Spotify Et Al

Post by Babz »

A good summary of current options for those still trying to earn money in the post-CD era ...

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2 ... ing-m.html
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Musician's Guide to Streaming: Pros & Cons, Spotify Et A

Post by James Steele »

Babz wrote:A good summary of current options for those still trying to earn money in the post-CD era ...

I'll check it out. I have to say, I know that the CD is fading, but interestingly enough, I have a certain number of fans of my music that perhaps because of the genre, they're 45 or older, and many of them still prefer CDs, so the days of not pressing them at all isn't quite here yet.

I'm going to move this post to the "Music Business" forum. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Post by billf »

Babz wrote:A good summary of current options for those still trying to earn money in the post-CD era ...

Here is another article, and it doesn't paint a rosy picture at all.

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/31/david_l ... musicians/
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I noticed I do get payed for streaming anywhere from .002-.009CAD I guess depending on where it streams to.
I've never really thought about how internet radio royalties works
does someone just pay the .002 cents stream it into their radio data base and that's it?
The reason I'm thinking that is because some of my stuff streams to multiple countries just once and that's it.
Or it could be once is enough of that I don't know.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
billf

Post by billf »

wylie1 wrote:I noticed I do get payed for streaming anywhere from .002-.009CAD I guess depending on where it streams to.
I've never really thought about how internet radio royalties works
does someone just pay the .002 cents stream it into their radio data base and that's it?
The reason I'm thinking that is because some of my stuff streams to multiple countries just once and that's it.
Or it could be once is enough of that I don't know.
Here's another article that has info on streaming, even some in the comments. It's all new to me as well.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali ... 9-problems
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
theredroom

Post by theredroom »

here's what you get for a million streams on various platforms...

http://thetrichordist.com/2014/11/12/th ... ns-to-you/
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Bookmarked.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

'An artist needs to generate THREE MILLION PLAYS on the two largest and most popular streaming platforms to equal just 1,125 album downloads from Itunes.'
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Helena_Birk12 wrote:in other words it's called stealing
"strealing".
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Streamsploitatoin :shake:
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.