YouTube threatens to block indie labels

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
Thomas.B.
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

YouTube threatens to block indie labels

Post by Thomas.B. »

The Worldwide Independent Network (WIN) reported that YouTube is about to launch a new music streaming service and already has separate agreements with 3 major labels (Sony, Warner and Universal). According to WIN the contracts offered to independent labels are non-negotiable and highly unfavorable. Indie labels not agreeing with YouTube's new contracts are being notified that their content will be blocked:
http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=174308
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: YouTube threatens to block indie labels

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... I'd want to know more. It's also possible that YouTube (which is owned by Google anyway, right?) might fall flat on its face with this launch. People might want to keep using regular YouTube for this, unless Google decided to purge all music content from plain old YouTube. Indy bands/labels would still have basic YouTube... but right... they're not getting paid there.

Remember when Apple launched Ping? How'd that go? :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Post by billf »

MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Google's business model is to pay nothing for music that they don't own and then charge as much as possible.

Why is any of this a surprise?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:Google's business model is to pay nothing for music that they don't own and then charge as much as possible.
Well said Mr. Halloran. It is a mad, mad world.
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

Sounds like an opportunity for SoundCloud - most indies seem to have "channels" over there these days - at least the ones I know.

Youtube isn't enough of a "destination" to be that choosy - they would not be hard to replace.
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

SixStringGeek wrote:Sounds like an opportunity for SoundCloud - most indies seem to have "channels" over there these days - at least the ones I know.
Very good to know. It's funny, that if dominant companies start feeling their oats and abusing their position in the market, they won't last too long. Remember when Microsoft was going to be the supreme power over all things? Google could be irrelevant ten years from now.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Thomas.B.

Post by Thomas.B. »

A number of organizations are trying to get the European Commission (EC) involved for emergency assistance to resolve the issue. IMPALA (European independents association), AIM (Association of Independent Music) and VUT (Verband unabhängiger Musikunternehmen) are all on board. VUT board member Mark Chung expressed his concerns rather bluntly at the end of the following article: http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=174660
billf

Post by billf »

According to the Guardian (and others), Google is moving forward with banning indies
His (YouTube VP Robert Kyncl) confirmation that YouTube will block videos from labels that do not sign licensing deals for the new premium tier will be hugely controversial among indie labels, with trade body WIN already filing a complaint to the European Commission about its negotiating strategy.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Maybe we can get along without Google? Do they contribute much ad revenue here?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:Maybe we can get along without Google? Do they contribute much ad revenue here?
Not really, but every bit helps. Is my ad at the upper left going to become a political thing here? :lol: I hope not.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:Not really, but every bit helps. Is my ad at the upper left going to become a political thing here? :lol: I hope not.
No, whenever I go to Sweetwater, it's via the ad up there, just in case something comes your way. Money for nothing.

But, in a non political way, I'm finding Google more and more annoying over time. I know I'm not their customer, I'm just part of their product, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. I've cut back to searches and stopped using everything else. Next step is to give Bing another try.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
James Steele wrote:Not really, but every bit helps. Is my ad at the upper left going to become a political thing here? :lol: I hope not.
No, whenever I go to Sweetwater, it's via the ad up there, just in case something comes your way. Money for nothing....
Absolutely. I click through even for my Izotope upgrades and my recent SampleTank 3 preorder. Anything to help.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
billf

Post by billf »

bayswater wrote:But, in a non political way, I'm finding Google more and more annoying over time. I know I'm not their customer, I'm just part of their product, but that doesn't make it any less annoying. I've cut back to searches and stopped using everything else. Next step is to give Bing another try.
That's how the market is supposed to work. If you don't like how Google is operating, use their competitors. However in this case it's probably more about finding alternatives to YouTube to promote your content through video sites and audio sites.

BTW, if you want a completely non-google search engine, you might try Dogpile and see if that suits your needs.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

billf wrote:BTW, if you want a completely non-google search engine, you might try Dogpile and see if that suits your needs.
Seems that Dogpile compiles results from Google, Yahoo and others.

Using Google for searches is OK, you don't have to log into Google to use it. But the kerfuffle over Youtube got me thinking about other search engines. So far Bing seems to return more useful results faster.