PRS/PPL/MCPS

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
K2LU533
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

PRS/PPL/MCPS

Post by K2LU533 »

I understand that PRS collects royalties on behalf of song writers and that PPL collects on behalf of performers. My question is; if a band is signed to a major label, how are the royalties collected and given to the artists? Does the band still need to sign up to PRS and PPL to collect the royalties from their music or does the label sort all of this and then pay the band? Also, are the physical sales of CDs etc. handled in this way? Thanks for your time.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: PRS/PPL/MCPS

Post by mikehalloran »

No doubt there are some good books on the subject but, living and working in the US, I don't know them.

In most countries, the performing rights societies membership departments are a good place to start for information.

http://www.prsformusic.com/Pages/default.aspx
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro