Whitey aka NJ White tells off TV Prod Co wanting free music

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Whitey aka NJ White tells off TV Prod Co wanting free music

Post by James Steele »

You might get a kick out of this. He's definitely not going to be working with these people and obviously doesn't care. I guess he told off some successful TV production company that wanted free music in an email, then posted his email to the world! LOL

(I gotta admit... he has a point!)

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali ... /06/whitey
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Re: White aka NJ White tells off TV Prod Co who wants free m

Post by bayswater »

I saw this in the Guardian a few days ago. It also refers back to the planning for the London Olympics when musicians were told they should be happy to provide their services for free. Apparently somewhere in the £9B budget they forgot music.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Whitey aka NJ White tells off TV Prod Co wanting free mu

Post by James Steele »

I always find the debate within the comments section of these stories interesting. One guy mentioned that his ensemble was contacted by White House planners to perform at some swank gala (don't think it was a charity event) and got pitched to do it for free. He says they asked if maybe they might be lucky enough to get a photo op with the Pres or VP or something that would make it worthwhile. The answer was no. He says he turned it down.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
RROY

Post by RROY »

It's the war on music!
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
BKK-OZ

Post by BKK-OZ »

glamacchia wrote:Backwards masking comes to mind if asked to provide for free. Nothing like playing it backwards to hear vog.esuohetihwehttaorgenesuoh over and over again in the chorus.
I was curious, so I worked out what your backwards thing/URL says.

Although I am not sure what you intended to mean by using it, I am sure that I find that phrase pretty f@ck:ng offensive.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

James Steele wrote:You might get a kick out of this. He's definitely not going to be working with these people and obviously doesn't care. I guess he told off some successful TV production company that wanted free music in an email, then posted his email to the world! LOL

(I gotta admit... he has a point!)

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permali ... /06/whitey
Nice man. I like the point about even the cleaning lady gets paid but not the musicians...lol.
I bet it took the cleaning lady 30 yrs to learn how to push that broom didn’t it?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I read the letter and a bunch of the follow up posts. A point made by several of the respondents is a good one: Worldwide performance royalties from Olympic broadcast will be HUUUGE. If Whitey was able to retain all rights to his music/recordings and collect the full 200% (100% writer/100% publisher) performance royalty via his PRO, he would make significant coin from performances even if not paid any up-front licensing fees. Sure, the devil is in the details, but remember, this isn't film (where, in the US, there is no per-screening royalty paid for music), this is for TV.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

HCMarkus wrote:I read the letter and a bunch of the follow up posts. A point made by several of the respondents is a good one: Worldwide performance royalties from Olympic broadcast will be HUUUGE. If Whitey was able to retain all rights to his music/recordings and collect the full 200% (100% writer/100% publisher) performance royalty via his PRO, he would make significant coin from performances even if not paid any up-front licensing fees. Sure, the devil is in the details, but remember, this isn't film (where, in the US, there is no per-screening royalty paid for music), this is for TV.
Well, maybe we should eliminate up fronts altogether and just truly insult all musicians. Then, someone one the back end will decide they too should not pay. And then what? The math here is not hard to fathom, "let one stop paying, all will want to stop paying."
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BKK-OZ wrote:
glamacchia wrote:Backwards masking comes to mind if asked to provide for free. Nothing like playing it backwards to hear vog.esuohetihwehttaorgenesuoh over and over again in the chorus.
I was curious, so I worked out what your backwards thing/URL says.

Although I am not sure what you intended to mean by using it, I am sure that I find that phrase pretty f@ck:ng offensive.
Noted. Post deleted and user given ONLY warning. :evil: