Harlem Shake Features Unlicensed Samples That Could Cost Baa

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Harlem Shake Features Unlicensed Samples That Could Cost Baa

Post by James Steele »

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
billf

Re: Harlem Shake Features Unlicensed Samples That Could Cost

Post by billf »

That is a mess.

The article mentions the Verve song as using unlicensed samples, but there is more to that case that makes it doubly interesting:
Originally, The Verve had negotiated a licence to use a sample from the Oldham recording, but it was successfully argued that the Verve had used "too much" of the sample.[14][15] Despite having original lyrics, the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" contains bongo drums sampled from the Oldham track, which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Allen Klein's company that owns the rights to the Rolling Stones material of the 1960s. The matter was eventually settled, with copyright of the song reverting to Abkco. Songwriting credits were changed to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft, with 100% of royalties going to the Rolling Stones.[1]

"We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing," says band member Simon Jones. "They rung up and said, 'We want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don't have much choice.'" [sic][16]
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Good! People should pay for what they use. I had a meeting this week with a filmmaker who said he "only used up to 6 seconds" and that was the "legal" amount he could use.

I asked to see where that is IN PRINT but of course he could not produce evidence.

Steal intellectual property and get caught and that's bad. Make a lot of money and that's worse - but very good for the copyright owners.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

There isn't any length of time. Basically it's a "if it's recognizable, it's wrong". The whole idea is to keep people from being able to link themselves with other's good name and make money off of it. I get this crap all the time at my video production job. About a year ago, I had a client come in all ready to do a take off on the Eminem Chrysler ad, and use the Eminem track. We had to set them straight, and they kept asking, "well, could we use only a few seconds, I hear that's legal?" It isn't. You can use one second and be canned. Oh, and just because it's you're friend playing a cover doesn't make it legal too. We had one creepy client who wanted to use a cover of a Santana song played by this woman (I'm pretty sure he just liked it because he liked her tits).

That said, I've been known to use free sound effects from open-source online repositories (only if I trust that they're not ripped off libraries), but I edit them HEAVILY or make them in-decipherable from the originals. As far as I know, that's kosher and quite common.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
billf

Post by billf »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I had a meeting this week with a filmmaker who said he "only used up to 6 seconds" and that was the "legal" amount he could use.
Where was he getting his legal advice from, Moe, Larry, and Curly Legal? :shake:
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
MIDI Life Crisis

billf wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I had a meeting this week with a filmmaker who said he "only used up to 6 seconds" and that was the "legal" amount he could use.
Where was he getting his legal advice from, Moe, Larry, and Curly Legal? :shake:
Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

There is this bizzare rumor about 5sec legality. I have no idea where it comes from, probably just wishful thinking that caught on as "fact". Here in Fairbanks it's compounded by the fact that until maybe 15 years ago, there was this Wild West mentality that everything was fair game and ASCAP or BMI didn't look this way (at least in regards to TV and radio) when I came on board over 7 years ago, they were in the process of breaking that mentality, but there were still some holdovers. One of my clients used the Dragnet theme for decades before we put a stop to it shortly after I came on.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
MIDI Life Crisis

I've paid my rent many times over with money from people with such brains. It's called infringement of copyright and it's damn expensive.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Ignorance pays.

But I wonder how enforceable this would be in the 3rd world.

Suppose, Mike, that some guy from Guatemala rips off some of your music. Could you really do something about it? You know how our laws are displayed only in print but never enforced...

He'd probably tell your lawyers to F.O. and I'm not sure there's much they could do about it. Hopefully I'm dead wrong on this :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
MIDI Life Crisis

I'd have to balance the poss return v. the cost of litigation. Probably not worth the expense.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

That's what I thought.

You could maybe (BIG and not very promising maybe), after years and lots of effort, get results from México, Argentina, Chile and probably Brazil, but I really doubt it. The rest of the countries would be a total waste of your time and effort.

Hope you never have to sue someone south of the USA! :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Here in Fairbanks it's compounded by the fact that until maybe 15 years ago, there was this Wild West mentality that everything was fair game and ASCAP or BMI didn't look this way
I have a report somewhere that Alaska has more copyright lawsuits going on than anywhere else in the country - not sure how recent it is.

I probably should qualify that by pointing out that maps and textbooks are the #1 and #2 categories for Alaskan copyright suits but music is up there.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I'd have to balance the poss return v. the cost of litigation. Probably not worth the expense.
Isn't that what they count on? It just seems so wrong that that can be used as a legal strategy (even locally). Just sayin.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis

Sometimes. I think infringers, like anyone else, want to make as much as possible. The trick is to only act on the successful ones. The losers aren't worth the effort. Just like the rest of life.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS