Copyright Question

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
henryj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Copyright Question

Post by henryj »

Greetings,

I'm getting ready to copyright some original music and lyrics for a new CD. I had a co-lyricist on 6 of the 13 songs. Would I file two sets of form PA with the Library of Congress? One with the whole project and another with just the songs I did with a co-writer. Not quite sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Henry
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Copyright Question

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Collaborative works should be registered separately from your solo work whenever possible, so yes, two registrations would be in order.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
henryj
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by henryj »

Thanks for your help.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

If you are releasing a CD, you are publishing the works. To be protected, you should register each song separately. Use the Form SR and check the box for PA.

Use Form PA if someone else is releasing the CD. Again, each published work gets its own form.

Failure to register published works separately means that only the first one is properly protected. Although you have established date of creation, you have not protected any of your other rights, especially the right to be paid if someone should cover one of your songs. This can be a very expensive lesson to learn if someone rips you off.

You may elect to file a separate Form SR for the whole CD but, if there are no cover tunes, I wouldn't.

The only time to list all your works on one form is when they are unpublished - again, you can use a PA or SR. The Library of Congress allows this to establish date of creation and your rights to make the first recording. When any of those works are released, they should then be re-registered properly to protect your other rights.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro