New Social Networking site!

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
jamesdunlopmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Social Networking site!

Post by jamesdunlopmusic »

Incase you don't already know there is a new "facebook" for the film industry called Stage32

http://www.stage32.com

It's actually really great for applying for jobs and general film networking!

You can even add me here!:
http://www.stage32.com/profile/17317/james-dunlop :dance:
Mac Pro 2.8 ghz Quad Core, 32gb RAM, DP 8.07, OS X 10.8.5
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: New Social Networking site!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks. In my experience, one doesn't generally "apply" for work. Projects usually appear from other projects or connections and networking.

Also, from what I have seen first hand, getting gigs from online sources is usually a disaster. The "producers" are always more interested in not paying people for their work and getting the product and license for free.

Legit producers generally never advertise as there is never a need to. There are a ton of talented people out there willing to work, many starting out and needing credits. As far as online social networking, personally I much prefer the professional connections made in person - as do my collaborators.

And then there is this from the Stage 32 folks:
Currently, Stage 32 is focused on providing the best value and experience we can to actors, directors, writers and producers. In the future, we'll be expanding to cover other professions within the industry.
So the focus seems off base for the members here anyway.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jamesdunlopmusic

Post by jamesdunlopmusic »

You are of course right. Trying to get a job on a forum is hard and everybody wants it for free but I can tell this site is the first I've discovered that does actually try to help people out with 'virtual' networking. For a composer/audio related person starting out though it seems like a good idea. Afterall you do need to start somewhere.
Also it may not state its aim is to help composers but I assure you after being on it a few months the composers have all the same opportunities as the directors and actors.
Mac Pro 2.8 ghz Quad Core, 32gb RAM, DP 8.07, OS X 10.8.5
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For fledglings it may well be a place to start and in my early days the rule was NEVER refuse work. But the thing is, once people know you will work for free or cheap, and that you may be desperate (or eager) for work, many will take advantage of that and it can be hard to break that pigeon hole.

But heck, if it works, go for it! It reminds me a little of the PAN network back in the 1980's...

Which I am surprised is still in business! I guess it doesn't cost $600 a year any more. LOL!

Well, here's another resource for you!

http://www.pan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote: But heck, if it works, go for it! It reminds me a little of the PAN network back in the 1980's...
Which I am surprised is still in business! I guess it doesn't cost $600 a year any more. LOL!
Used to be a member pre-internet. (Dialup "old style" BBS...text only)

I guess Perry (Leopold?) is still at it. It was a good resource (if not the only one) back then.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)