Outside engineer agreement/payment scale

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
detroitdiesel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by detroitdiesel »

I record bands in the greater providence/south of boston area and on occasion I need someone to run a session or part of a session. Is there a typical payscale based on the hourly of a studio? How does that work? Any agreements considered a good starting point?

I would want the feel of the agreement to be "band pays other engineer $X. Engineer then pays me $.5X" or what have you.

Thanks, DD
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Outside engineer agreement/payment scale

Post by Phil O »

I have a friend up from Phoenix and when I mentioned my hourly rate, he called me insane. "I can get good engineers for half that in Arizona." The very next day I got a call from a local musician wanting to do a CD. When I told her my hourly rate, she asked how I can work for so little. Apparently, she's checked around and my rates are the best in the area. Go figure.

As far as I can tell, rates are all over the map right now. Negotiate what you think is a fair price - going rates be damned.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Charge what you know you're worth.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
detroitdiesel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Outside engineer agreement/payment scale

Post by detroitdiesel »

Sorry. What I meant was, what to PAY someone for sitting in my chair while I'm home seeing my family on that rare occasion.