Any of you guys do the whole "online studio tracks" thing?

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
21stcenturykid
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by 21stcenturykid »

Hi all,

I'm reasonably new here so I hope this is the right forum...

I'm doing research for a university module called professional studies so I'm studio areas of online music business opportunities- mainly teaching music online (directly via Skype etc or indirectly through video lessons) and "online studios" such as what studiotraxx.com do or via your own websites. (Recording parts for people and they pay a fee per track etc)

Essentially I was wondering if any of you here do any of these things or similar and what your experiences were. I'm also looking for a few people to interview at some point if anyone was interested in doing that!

I will be eternally grateful for any help you may be able to give me.

Steven.
Check out my band- Demo's mixed in DP5
http://www.theregulatorsband.co.uk
David Polich

Re: Any of you guys do the whole "online studio tracks" thin

Post by David Polich »

If you mean, do I send projects to people via a server so they can
record where they are, and then send me back their tracks via the
server - yes, all the time.

If you mean, do I collaborate with musicians online in real-time,
using some host and maybe live video, no. The delay in file
transmission is still too long to make something like this a viable
way to record with other musicians.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

David Polich wrote:If you mean, do I send projects to people via a server so they can
record where they are, and then send me back their tracks via the
server - yes, all the time.
Same here
If you mean, do I collaborate with musicians online in real-time,
using some host and maybe live video, no. The delay in file
transmission is still too long to make something like this a viable
way to record with other musicians.
Damned speed of light just gets in the way.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Yes to playing piano parts for others via emailed mp3s or downloaded wave files. I add the part(s) and then send them back wave files via YouSendIt or some other large file delivery system.

I also do it in reverse and have another player add parts to one of my or my client's projects.

Another friend of mine teaches daily trombone lessons via Skype.

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stephentayler

Post by stephentayler »

I do e-mixing in my project studio at home. My clients send me either ProTools sessions by Digidelivery, or Logic files, usually by YouSendIt or similar. I love working this way, I can work in my own time and I don't have anyone breathing down my neck!!

Seriously it works for me, I upload my mixes as AAC using FileChute to my iDisk, and everyone can check it out on their own systems, which makes a lot of sense. After getting feedback and allowing for a couple of revisions, the balance is paid to me and then I will upload the full .WAV versions, stems, whatever has been agreed.

Oh and I can take my time to transfer the files from PT or Logic and into DP without interference!!

I do work in many different ways, but this is my current favourite.

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
Little Known

Post by Little Known »

I do a lot of work this way. I love it! My schedule is truly MY schedule. I do this for both production (sending the track away for session work) and post production (receiving projects for mixdown).

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.249005,-55.052766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
john presley
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by john presley »

So many good musicians with home studios. I've built a roster of about 20 online pros that can send me affordable, high quality tracks. Only occasionally have quality issues..

The biggest challenge is communicating what you need from them. Send them accurate charts/directions and work out the price ahead of time for # of tracks. Some guys will send me more takes than others.

Occasionally you will get someone who wants $700 for one take...and it is almost always someone who doesn't have the resume to ask that much. but for the most part you can expect to pay 100-200 for a professional well recorded part on a song.

Last, depending on the player I get better results if they record the part on their own, not with me staring down over a webcam. Realtime does have its benefits, but if you send clear enough directions you mostly don't need it.
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

Since any flash video or Pandora is considered downloaded to the user is there an issue with BMI still. Say an artist here wants to hear (download via Gobbler or Skype chat) the mix prior to signing off on the Box Set? Both represented by BMI with songs previously released but unreleased 'live' versions? We are seeing here in Cali ISP's now charging for downed copyrighted songs. Ars Technica reported BMI was arguing regardless of a one on one encrypted connection a public performance fee should be collected.

Is this a good reason to get a static IP address? Or send these links to and from your domain's login encrypted webmail? Because You-Send-It is not encrypted and those links 'live' for 5 days. I have tested this with permission of the studio in Rio, sending them to an artist in NY state.

If not both using Gobbler, then...?

It would be necessary for us to know only two downloads of the FTP occurred and IP address? New to 7.2 but not early early versions, SVP or Pro Tools 5-9.

Question: in 7.2 (upcoming 8) you guys/gals consolidating sessions first before establishing the Skype call or only sending rough mix for say a percussion session in Rio, and dragging session or broadcast wave file into chat window?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This is the only way I've ever worked with others. It's all by email and FTP using my own domain. I almost always get Logic projects coming in, and send MP3 and Wave out. I'm currently looking into an easy to implement set up to use FaceTime/iChat to do reviews of mixes, now that 15 mbit connections are common.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
rhythm_kitchen

Post by rhythm_kitchen »

With Gobbler one doesn't need to consolidate a DP 7.2 session? ANYONE?

And in beta of Gobbler version the meta-data is encrypted during transit.

This probably belongs in the idea box (I guess at Microsoft?) but wouldn't it be possible to have a 'lock' on text based meta-data (not S/MPTE location but copyright, composer, publisher) such as you see with PDFs?

Gobbler may be the only alternative now re meta-data integrity between you and client... if anyone was at NAMM and talked with them and has an update other than windows version is coming I'd like to hear what was announced.

The only 'bad' thing about Gobbler beta is having to use an admin account online. That is strictly a no-no in IT circles... particularly with all the audio files/sessions at risk? Years ago at work I got hit with MBDFa/b and it scrambled many of my vision files and Dave O. was kind enough to look at it but was unable to put humpty dumpty back together again. That was a real ball buster those two 6800 Mac viruses.

Why, if a non-privileged user with the complete session bu w/ a path to an eSATA array or Firewire external drive with 'ignore permissions' checked why can't Gobbler be installed as an online user (non-privileged) unless this is in the works? Or a 'shared' folder between admin and online user for Gobbler to scan.

PDFs. For a while a copyrighted PDF was black-holed by Google. I realize there was the image virus issue at the time, still an encrypted disk image for lyric sheet is a good idea IMO... even if it is unlocked PDF, w/ composer, lyric writer, publishing as a footnote/header on each page.

Adobe Acrobat may be an option, but it is (has been) vulnerable to hacks so javascript must be turned off including Adobe Reader. One good reason not to go-online as an admin user EVER! Or on PC rename a certain .dll file. Cert.org has the details for Admins.

A bit OT here so my apologies to the OP.

There is a VST plugin that one can use to edit meta-data in say 'other DAWs' but it is not needed in most mature programs. However this gives an idea of what can be 'altered' in wave or broadcast wave meta-data.

LYRIC SHEETS: I use Screenwriter 4.8.12 (older PPC/Windows version for archiving lyrics) and as you can lock revisions, etc and print in colors any revision page with revision # and watermark with producer/AD etc their eyes only. This is equally good in production of an album where the script is in 'Novel' format and the record name/session/artist on title page and numbered pages then are lyric sheets with a header or footnote with lyric writer/composer/publisher/c.date.

You can open PPC 4.8.12 on Windows by just manually adding the screenwriter suffix (if it is installed and original CD is mounted -- or authenticated w/ ser# either/or).

I'm still using the OS-9-10.x (PPC) version (4.8.12) as I love my Pismo for writing and the keyboard feel... but it has less formats or and PDFs options.

...one can print a PDF file from Screenwriter with or without footnotes to disk and/or printer and/or with or without cover page.

Then archive the PDFs. SL MacIntel one needs to upgrade from 4.8.12 or purchase 5.x.x from Write Brothers.

Production notes are viewed in Screenwriter in a Pink Rectangle the width of the page with a turn down arrow to hide or reveal. These can be printed to page or file and as an option either where they sit on the page or only production notes alone.

Or if both users own screenwriter then they can just exchange the lyric sheet(s) in screenwriter format and open with that script's user assigned pswd or collaborate via the internet with a one on one TCP/IP connection, again here one would want the latest version for online security and privacy.

Screenwriter you can customize script formats and user dictionary(s) and the preferences are just unending literally. But you can also switch dictionary to another language during any writing session!

Write Brothers had this amazing Thesaurus (Word Menu) still used by many (PPC or Windows) but no longer supported. I think it is called Word Magic (edit - not! it is 'Word Menu' as I found the manual) which is a unique database with relational search features, all sorts of scientific and medical terms, early weapons, armor, early English usage (or Norse), nouns, verbs, not your everyday thesaurus for sure.

A lot of work went into Word Menu it is a shame it wasn't updated. Mine still will open on tiger/leopard (currently uninstalled) but the only hassle is having to go online with pace if you upgrade OS-X from any version as Apple installers OS update breaks the pace authentication. Write Brothers give you three licenses, but are very generous if you have had a crash or Powerbook failure (as in the dang DC in jack on a PISMO or bit volume crashes)...or worse. As in the dreaded first Diskwarrior Init w/ a Tiger formatted firewire drive mounted causing data corruption. Or javascript or Flash hacks overwriting bit volume and boot rom with random data. Preaching to the choir here.

PC version of Screenwriter, no pace, but a serial #. Once you use the dictionary you will never go back to word, Bean, or Appleworks. And printing to a PDF data file to email a lyric sheet is the way to go IMO.

EMAIL encrypted lyrics as a locked copyrighted PDF (as in your own or unlocked PDF): I use an encrypted disk image to email---> Go, Utilities, Disk Utility, choose new image, edit size, make read+write, choose 128 bit or 256 bit encryption (256 bit is not Tiger compatible) and write pswd someplace other than hard disk. All mounted encrypted Disk Images lock when you eject them... as most of you Macheads know already.

Sorry to go OT. I am collating 'too many' old lyrics/songs at the moment and converting them all to Screenwriter PDFs to archive. I am rambling now...!