Cellular Phones and Wireless Audio

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.
lindymack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cellular Phones and Wireless Audio

Post by lindymack »

Has anyone here had a situation in which a cell phone caused interference (noise or a complete blackout) with a wireless microphone?

I was at a concert last night where several obvious audio problems were blamed on audience members who failed to turn off their cell phones. I was not aware that they operated in similar frequencies or could cause such problems. Was this more likely a problem their sound man rather than with cell phones, or is there a documented problem between cell phones and wireless audio equipment?

Thanks.

Lindy
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Cellular Phones and Wireless Audio

Post by James Steele »

lindymack wrote:Has anyone here had a situation in which a cell phone caused interference (noise or a complete blackout) with a wireless microphone?

I was at a concert last night where several obvious audio problems were blamed on audience members who failed to turn off their cell phones. I was not aware that they operated in similar frequencies or could cause such problems. Was this more likely a problem their sound man rather than with cell phones, or is there a documented problem between cell phones and wireless audio equipment?
Sounds like bull to me... but then what do I know? Cell phones are so ubiquitous and have been for so long that it would be ludicrous to have wireless mics operating anywhere near the same frequencies. The can be picked up via inductance... for example if someone who is actually wearing a wireless lavelier also has a cellphone on their person and they receive a call, you might hear that static sort of sound... but it wouldn't knock out transmission.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

We used 600mHz band equipment heavily, and that spectrum has been sold. There was supposed to be something like a 3 year transition period, but T-mobile have moved aggressively to roll out cell transmission in that band, which means there's now a lot of unexpected 'illegal' 600mHz wireless mic equipment in use, which will see interference. That equipment is extremely expensive to replace, and I'm sure many will hang on till the bitter end. We were starting to see several venues we work with almost no clear channels in that range, so have phased that equipment out.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Even in-studio, with no wireless audio equipment in use, some cell phones will cause audible clicking at times. Something to look out for.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote:Even in-studio, with no wireless audio equipment in use, some cell phones will cause audible clicking at times. Something to look out for.
“My amp must be defective”

“Your iPhone is sitting on top. Turn it off.”
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Ya know what's fun? Having a US wireless mic on a European CEO speaking in the US, with his Euro cell phone going off constantly in his pocket.

It's his voice he's interrupting.....
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Mike M. Murray
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Mike M. Murray »

There might be an issue in the amplifier.
Last edited by Mike M. Murray on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oleg Vostyakov
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Oleg Vostyakov »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 am Even in-studio, with no wireless audio equipment in use, some cell phones will cause audible clicking at times. Something to look out for.
Absolutely true! Agree!
Arnkatla

Post by Arnkatla »

Bluetooth will never improve the quality of your sound source, and in the worst case scenario, it can severely decrease the quality. There's no point in sending your high-resolution FLAC files over a Bluetooth system that can only use basic SBC coding.