It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:44 pm

Text Size

SoundCloud, BandCamp, Reverbnation, Distrokid - experiences

For discussion of the music business in general

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
For discussion of the music business in general from studio administration, contracts, artist promotion, gigging, etc.

Re: SoundCloud, BandCamp, Reverbnation, Distrokid - experien

Postby terrybritton » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:15 pm

mhschmieder wrote:Yeah, I was getting TAXI and Harry Fox confused.

The Harry Fox site sends you to SongFile if your distribution needs are fairly low:

http://www.songfile.com

They have an FAQ's page that is quite helpful:

https://secure.harryfox.com/songfile/faq.jsp#faq14

It's going to take me awhile to go through all the details, but it looks like it's going to be too expensive to do cover songs unless I sell them, as it's a penny per stream or nine cents per physical distribution.

Well, better safe than sorry. I'll continue to use DropBox for my covers, for now, as I do NOT want to spends a lot of time on the business side at this moment as I have years worth of unfinished projects at work and at home that I really want to put a wrap on, without unnecessary distractions.

It's good to have the targets in mind though. I'll read about "fair use", and also about copyrights on original arrangements of prior work to see if that gives me some sort of partial "out".

I definitely had never heard of SongFile.com - very interesting! Yes, a bit expensive, but not out-of-bounds. Thanks for that lead!

Terry
Computer: Dell XPS 8700-1751BLK | Intel Haswell Core i7 4790@3.6Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Windows 10 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid- USB

DAWs and Live: MOTU Digital Performer 9.1.3 | Samplitude Pro X3 Suite | Cantabile 3 Performer
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88, Akai MPK249, Behringer BCF2000; NI Maschine Jam; Peavey PC 1600x
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Lexicon LXP-5

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/terryleighbritton
terrybritton

Primary DAW OS: Windows

Postby mhschmieder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:32 pm

I guess people heard that Soundcloud is laying off at least half of their workforce and completely shutting down SF and London. Hmm, maybe some of those SF people would make good candidates for my employer, just opposite Soundcloud's office on the Berkeley side of the Bay Bridge. :-)

I am glad I didn't spend time getting into Soundcloud now. Not many expect it to survive, but it's an evolving story. The consensus seems to be to jump to Band Camp -- at least for those for whom Soundcloud made the most sense in the first place.

I still am only using DropBox, as I keep falling behind on the next phase of my research for how to self-publish when I get to my finished products.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 8 GB), OSX 10.12.6, MOTU DP 9.13, iZotope RX 6.0.0
FireFace UFX, Audient ASP880, True Precision 8, AEA RPQ2, Radial PZ-DI & Reamp JCR

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Select J-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BB-1025X, Hagstrom Viking Bari
Select Strat/Tele, Am Pro JMaster, 57 LP Goldtop, RevStar RS502T, G5422-12, EXL-1, Ibanez PM2
J-100 Xtra, E6D, OM-28VTS, E20P-SB, M-20, AC530-12, ABT60
Yamaha WX5, Hammond XK-1c, Moog Voyager, Prophet 12
mhschmieder

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby mikehalloran » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:59 am

terrybritton wrote:
mhschmieder wrote:... but much of this article I wrote way, way back in 1995 still applies today (of course, the dollar amounts for physical royalties no longer apply...)

Music Business Primer (1995-97)

I thought to share it because of what you said about your Dropbox version of the "Poor Man's Copyright". Basically -- they do not work.

Terry

Much of that info is still correct. A bit of it never was which is no biggie except...

There is a big, monstrous, gaping hole, however, and that is there's no mention of the differences of the rights enjoyed between published and unpublished works combined with the registration requirements and limitations concerning those that have been published.

Lack of understanding has cost a few songwriters million$ (18 of those millions in one case).

Terry, if you would like some help with that, please feel free to message or email me (not at my work email!). It's a good article, though out of date, and I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see it corrected and modernized.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.12.4
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.13, 9.02, 8.07 64bit, DP 7.24; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, JBridge, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3, Finale 25.3, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 15
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
mikehalloran

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Previous

Return to Music Business