64 bit update from MOTU Tech Support 09-30-2013

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: 64 bit update from MOTU Tech Support 09-30-2013

Post by James Steele »

dpg4macman wrote:That wouldn't be a very practical solution for me. MOTU should just update the VI.
I'm quite sure they plan on doing that. Probably just other things were taking priority (bugs in DP, fixing PCI driver to work in Mavericks, etc.). Hopefully it will be soon. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
thanatopsis
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by thanatopsis »

I have Sound Radix's 32 Lives that works very well with some older 32-bit AU instruments. It doesn't work with MX4. I asked Sound Radix if they plan on supporting it and they said:
"I'm afraid we don't have info regarding MX4. We've tried to acquire a copy from MOTU but wasn't successful as it was discontinued. Please forward any error or crash log, it'll greatly help us understand the problem and fix it."

Discontinued?
It is still listed at http://www.motu.com/products/software/mx4 but I don't see it on the main software page at https://www.motu.com/store/software/. Hmm.
Well if MOTU isn't going to update it maybe at least they can work with one of the companies doing the 32-bit wrappers.

*** UPDATE ***
I just downloaded the new 32 Lives 1.0.3 and MX4 sorta works! I didn't do much testing, but it loads old projects and seems to play them fine. The 1.0.3 release notes say the problem of plugin windows always floating on top of the main windows instead of going to the back when other windows are active has been fixed, but at least with MX4 that isn't the case for me. The MX4 window remains front-most, except the window borders with those red, yellow & green balls do go to the back, so then the only way to close the plugin window is to move the other DP windows around until the red ball is visible again. I have 3 monitors, so it isn't much trouble for me to just give a few instances of MX4 their own monitor, but it might be a problem for others.
I got 32 Lives cheap during the beta period and use it with a number of other AUs. It is pricier now. They do have a demo, so if you need MX4 in 64-bit mode you might want to give it a try. I have OS X 10.8.5 and DP 8.0.5. Maybe another setup works better.
http://www.soundradix.com/products/32-lives
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... I missed your post, but wanted to confirm that I just got MX4 working with 32 Lives v 1.04. I unwrapped MX4 and then re-wrapped it, and it seems to be working pretty well, except for the graphic glitch you noted. See QuickTime movie below:

JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!