Ramp 1-4?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

mike_o
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Ramp 1-4?

Post by mike_o »

I see ramp-1 through ramp-4 as mod sources in MX4's mod matrix, I cannot figure out what the ramp control does or where its controlled on the synth, anyone know?
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
carrythebanner

Re: Ramp 1-4?

Post by carrythebanner »

Page 50 in the manual has a pretty good description.
(If it's not on that page in your manual, look for "Ramps" in the index.)
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

my manual is in a box in a closet in the SF bay area, I'm in LA and dont have it right now, the manual, could you maybe summarize real quik for me, please...

thanks.
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

They're generic automation ramps which can be used to add a level of abstraction between the automation data in the instrument track and the modulation(s) in the plug-in.

Example:
- Insert ramp 1 data in the sequence
- In MX4's modulation matrix section (lower right corner), choose "Ramp 1" in the Source column and click in the circle next to it
- Control-click two different controls, say filter cutoff and distortion level, and assign the ramp as a modulation source
- When the automation ramp data is played back, it will modulate both controls
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

I kinda got that, but how do you control the ramp amount, ehere is that is the real question, I can control Ramp amounts through the controler chart but I connot find them in the GUI, are there controls there at all?
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

There's no UI for the ramps in the MX4 UI. They simply follow the corresponding ramp automation data in your sequence.
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

OK, I was going crazy looking for them :D

thanks.