ever lost an ilok?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

mike_o
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ever lost an ilok?

Post by mike_o »

I cant find my mx4 ilok, I was traveling for the last 2 months, and now its gone. can they be replaced?

I gonna give a few more days of looking around for it before I contact motu but I was wondering here if anyone has ever had this happen.

will they do anything at all or am I S.O.L. so to speak?
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
1nput0utput

Re: ever lost an ilok?

Post by 1nput0utput »

I've heard that MOTU will do a one-time replacement for lost or stolen iLoks. You should call them.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

thank you sir, will give it a shot.
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

so the ilok will cost 39.95 to be replaced, and yes its a one time only thing, but that is still awesome -crazy props to MOTU on this policy, and I got through customer service in like 3 minutes.
ssp
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by ssp »

one lesson to learn from this as im painfully learning.

if you do not register your ilok and software with it, and you lose it or have it stolen as in my case, you cannot get it replaced, and you cant buy a new one.

i have been so busy building the bpm controller unit that i never registered my bpm stuff, i just got on with it as i needed to start the build and the code changes.

one laptop with ilok's and other things taken later.. well there we go.

now i have to save up to buy a new copy of bpm, lesson learned!!

mac pro 8-core, mac mirror door dp, graphite g4 400.
Motu 2408/24io interfaces, PT HD, Event opals, Focal twin 6.
Too many synths to mention!
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

I'm sorry man that sucks, I've seen a few used and unregistered going on craigslist in LA over the last few months, look around your area, I got mine from a closing little studio for $150, I've seen others going for $200 and you can transfer the license with motu at no charge.

if it is registered with them(MOTU), the seller just needs to send an email with your name so they will transfer it over to you, I had to do this when I bought Mach 5 V2 used, but if it is registered at ilok.com then you must pay $25 to ilok to transfer or consolidate their registration's onto a single key-my mach5 v2 has this issue so I just use a hub, but my 2nd hand BPM was not registered with ilok yet and all is fine with no fees.

as long as you have the ilok it will work.

if its registered with motu the seller must send an techlink about the transfer but there is no fee.

if its registered at ilok you must pay a fee to transfer or consolidate($25)-it is still legally your license with motu even without ilok registration, you just cannot consolidate ilok keys together.

send me an email for contact about your controller design.

michaelohagan912@hotmail.com
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

I bought a spare iLok from Pace, which I keep in a drawer. I also bought the insurance. They'll replace my codes in hours, rather than days or weeks, because of it. Unfortunately, the biggest presence on my two functional iLoks is Waves. Waves does not participate in the insurance scheme. I'm not quite sure what happens when that iLok either gets stolen, broken, or just fails from old age. Meanwhile, I've been acquiring a nice library of plugins in case the day ever comes that I have to say goodbye to Waves. I refuse to buy the entire Platinum bundle and others that I "own" again.

But I do recommend the spare iLok and insurance.

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Nope.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

James Steele wrote:Nope.

what is this "NOPE" in response to, the "ever lost an ilok" or one of shooshies statements?
kassonica

Post by kassonica »

mike_o wrote:
James Steele wrote:Nope.

what is this "NOPE" in response to, the "ever lost an ilok" or one of shooshies statements?

I take it that he has never lost one.
Creativity, some digital stuff and analogue things that go boom. crackle, bits of wood with strings on them that go twang
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep. Nope.

(Never lost an iLok.) :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Me neither. Clear enough?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS