MX4 2.2 now on MOTU site...

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MX4 2.2 now on MOTU site...

Post by James Steele »

Just saw it posted in MOTU's download area tonight.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
carrythebanner

Re: MX4 2.2 now on MOTU site...

Post by carrythebanner »

The update notes say that it should now be able to Bounce to Disk in DP6 without freezing first.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

carrythebanner wrote:The update notes say that it should now be able to Bounce to Disk in DP6 without freezing first.
Ugh, finally.... Now I can put my fish sticks back in the freezer and get the darn MX4 box out of there.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

carrythebanner wrote:The update notes say that it should now be able to Bounce to Disk in DP6 without freezing first.
Very cool... I'll be glad when MachFive 2 can do this! :)

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
azusa749a
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by azusa749a »

Thank you. I thought MOTU forgot about MX4. :D
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

Anybody tried it yet? I downloaded it but haven't had time to devote to installing and testing.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput »

mikebeckmotu wrote:Anybody tried it yet? I downloaded it but haven't had time to devote to installing and testing.
It's been working well for me. Actually, installing the update reminded me how much I like MX4, so I've created many new patches recently.
The leading cause of wrong answers is asking the wrong questions.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Thought this was an interesting comment on the site:
Power and efficiency

On a Dual 2.66 GHz Dual Core Mac Pro tower in our test lab, sixteen real-time instances of MX4 produce a reading of around 50% on the processor usage meter. If we switch them all to pre-render mode, the meter drops to near 0% and we can then instantiate 37 pre-rendered instances.
That's not something I'd typically expect from MOTU (sorry to say) even it is just marketing hype.. Problem is we need ALL the VIs to have performance like this !!! :roll: Even if it's just MOTUs!

Ken-
My Gear: MacPro 2.8ghz Quad (2010), 12 GB RAM, 4 internal HDs, OS 10.6.5, DP 7.21, MOTU 2408mkIII, MTP AV
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

I would assume that synthesis based VI's like MX4 will benefit more from Pre-Rendering than Sample based one. The fact that it doesn't need to reload all its samples when record engaged is an example.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

kenrinc wrote:Thought this was an interesting comment on the site:
Power and efficiency

On a Dual 2.66 GHz Dual Core Mac Pro tower in our test lab, sixteen real-time instances of MX4 produce a reading of around 50% on the processor usage meter. If we switch them all to pre-render mode, the meter drops to near 0% and we can then instantiate 37 pre-rendered instances.
Sounds great, and I'm sure there are some performance gains but there's more to this than meets the eye if you read the fine print. Sure... you can instantiate 37 pre-rendered instances, but what happens if you have 37 average density MIDI tracks routed to each of those instances and you press "Play?" My guess is your level meter won't stay "near 0%" then. :D In fact just loading instances in real-time doesn't prove much with VI's. It might have with mere FX, like when people use to report how many instances of MOTU's "Plate" plug to compare processing power. However, VIs are more dynamic in their CPU load I suspect. If 16 instances made the meter read about 50% just by loading them... we know that the processor load will increase significantly when we actually are playing something and the VIs are under load. You also may get some spiking... who knows?

I'm not trying to be a naysayer, but obviously how many instances you can merely instantiate is relatively meaningless. How many instances can actually play back is the real-life statistic that matters. It would be interesting to know that. I imagine you'd get more instances for sure, but nothing on the magnitude that might be incorrectly assumed based on how many instances can be loaded when DP is not playing anything back.

kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Wow, I have to say I downloaded the demo for this guy and I'm quite amazed why I did not have this synth! When I do take the plunge to DP 6.01 I might take advantage of the offer.

Ken-
My Gear: MacPro 2.8ghz Quad (2010), 12 GB RAM, 4 internal HDs, OS 10.6.5, DP 7.21, MOTU 2408mkIII, MTP AV
RCory

Post by RCory »

Is there some setting I'm missing? I get no difference in CPU performance with DP6.01/MX4 2.2 than I get with other versions..

I can find no reference to a "switching to Pre-Render Mode" in the manual...
RCory

Post by RCory »

okay - duh - follow up - you have to close the instance of the plug's window and remove rec-enable

btw, nice! Makes my aging Dual 1.25 G4 like new again! *cough*

There is some remnant of rendered audio in the beginning of the song - ie I usually have an empty measure or two at the beginning of a sequence and I hear bits of MX4 audio in this... not sure what to do about that...
MeisterEckhardt

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

Is the update worth it? What does it do better? I want to avoid messing with iLok like the plague. In fact, I'd rather have the plague than mess with iLok. If its worth it I'll do it but otherwise I'll stay away.

Meister
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).
MeisterEckhardt

Post by MeisterEckhardt »

1nput0utput wrote:
Ugh, finally.... Now I can put my fish sticks back in the freezer and get the darn MX4 box out of there.
LOL!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: that was hilarious!
Mac Mini 2012 under El Capitan OS X with 16 GB RAM, Motu MIDI Express XT, Motu 828 MK II Firewire, Motu 8pre, Korg o1W/fd, Yamaha S80, TrapKat, Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute drums, lots of percussion, Roland VS-1680, Mics, Fender J Bass, hens, tamworth pigs, barn cats, one incredibly smart and lovable farm collie. (Animals great for sampling, no batteries required).