mx4 bargain?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

codeine
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

mx4 bargain?

Post by codeine »

i was recently offered a used copy of mx4 for os x for a really good price, it's apparently boxed and supplied with the dongle / manual etc.

it looks legit, (i'm pretty sure it's not a copy or a crack or anything like that) but is there anything i should be aware of before buying it? i'm not sure about motu's licensing rules, will mx4 run ok on my mac if it has already been registerered by someone else?

thanks in advance for the advice.
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by corbo-billy »

Sorry, I also bought my MX4 of occasion and the transfer of licence with MOTU occured very well.
I don't undertand your problem if you have the data of preceding owner _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: mx4 bargain?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

codeine wrote:i was recently offered a used copy of mx4 for os x for a really good price, it's apparently boxed and supplied with the dongle / manual etc.

it looks legit, (i'm pretty sure it's not a copy or a crack or anything like that) but is there anything i should be aware of before buying it? i'm not sure about motu's licensing rules, will mx4 run ok on my mac if it has already been registerered by someone else?

thanks in advance for the advice.
As long as you are sure the software will be intact and you can license it with MOTU, you should be good to go. If you trust the source (or can get your $$$ back in the event they're crooks) then why not?

People buy stuff they just don't need and sometimes sell it off for a good price. I do this fairly often (although not with software) and the end buyer always gets a good deal.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
codeine

Post by codeine »

yep, this is exactly what im concerned about, its a potential ebay purchase, and i don't know the guy. what, if anything, does a license transfer involve? and can i run the synth without this? (and if yes, is it legal?)
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

You will need an iLok and will need to transfer the license via iLok.com ($25, paid by the seller but probably tagged onto your buying price).

If the MX4 is unused and unregistered, you should be able to use the iLok that came with it and register that at iLok.com.

You will not be able to use the product, except in demo mode, unless you register it via iLok.com.
codeine

Post by codeine »

thanks for the reply - i doubt the seller has included this in his price because he's selling it at a very low price, i'll raise it and see what he says. thanks again for clearing this up for me, licence transfers are a minefield.
mess

Post by mess »

mhschmieder wrote:You will need an iLok and will need to transfer the license via iLok.com ($25, paid by the seller but probably tagged onto your buying price).

If the MX4 is unused and unregistered, you should be able to use the iLok that came with it and register that at iLok.com.

You will not be able to use the product, except in demo mode, unless you register it via iLok.com.
but if, as the original post stated, the iLok is included, there is no need to transfer any licenses through iLok.com since he will be receiving the iLok.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The physical iLok is meaningless. You cannot transfer a physical iLok from one owner to another, UNLESS it was never registered with iLok.com, or UNLESS the NEW owner is ONLY going to use it for products such as Waves that do not use direct authorisation/licensing via iLok.com.

If you do not believe me, I can hunt down the email from iLok.com's help desk when I get home and cut/paste that directly.
mhschmieder

Re: mx4 bargain?

Post by mhschmieder »

In case anyone chances upon this thread and doesn't notice it's old, PACE has changed some of their iLok transferral policies over the past two years, so make sure you check their website (iLok.com) before making any assumptions about the current state of affairs.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH