MX4 and 3rd party waveforms?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's powerful MX4 software synthesizer.

Moderator: James Steele

vinnieangeloni
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MX4 and 3rd party waveforms?

Post by vinnieangeloni »

Hi,

I noticed that there are now third party waveforms
available for a few different synths that can use them:

http://www.galbanum.com/products/archit ... universal/

I seem to remember some marketing/promo info
which seemed to imply that MX4 could use other
waveforms, but I don't see anything in the manual
which suggests this is possible. Does anyone know
whether these waveforms can be used in MX4?

If it could be done, I think these waveforms are very reasonably
priced (around $30), so they would be a great
addtition to MX4.

Vince
iMAS

Post by iMAS »

Do you really need more waveforms ? MX4 already comes with a crap load of waveforms. And with 3 oscillator's and the symmetry slider to morph the waveforms...you practically have trillions of combinations to play with.

Btw, I just checked out the link you gave. It does look interesting and mentions metasynth and NI's absynth...but I don't see how you can use the waveforms in MX4 currently. Maybe in V3...they'll allow users to import their own waveforms.

But like I said earlier...with MX4's Symmetry and wavetable's index sliders...you can pretty much "almost" get any waveforms you want.
mikebeckmotu
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mikebeckmotu »

I got the Galbanum waveforms for Absynth, and they provide even more endless possibilities (yeah I know that's a grammatically silly phrase to use, but it's true!). I hadn't even thought of trying them with MX4. Now I may have to roll up the mad scientist sleeves.
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
iMAS

Post by iMAS »

mikebeckmotu wrote:I hadn't even thought of trying them with MX4.
Even if you wanted to, could you ? AFAIK, MX4 doesn't seem to allow you to import 3rd party waveforms.
mikebeckmotu

Post by mikebeckmotu »

iMAS wrote:
mikebeckmotu wrote:I hadn't even thought of trying them with MX4.
Even if you wanted to, could you ? AFAIK, MX4 doesn't seem to allow you to import 3rd party waveforms.
I don't know if its possible - but sometimes that makes me want to try.
:)
8-core i9 MacBookPro 16-inch, 16gb ram, Catalina, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, DP not installed yet
dewdman42

Re: MX4 and 3rd party waveforms?

Post by dewdman42 »

Did anyone ever figure out if this is possible?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Andrew Souter

Post by Andrew Souter »

I'd be open to working with MOTU to make my waveforms integrate well with MX4. I suggested it them a few times in the past.

I am actually working on an update currently that will be available shortly. If more people express an interest, I could investigate this more.

Andrew Souter

Galbanum | sonic science aural allusion
2CAudio | convergent creative precision
www.galbanum.com | www.2caudio.com
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

So I guess that means 3rd party waveforms in general can't be imported? Would you have to get access to some propietary storage format in order to make yours work with MX4?

What synths currently do support your waves?

-steve
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bjornln

Post by bjornln »

Andrew Souter wrote:I'd be open to working with MOTU to make my waveforms integrate well with MX4. I suggested it them a few times in the past.

I am actually working on an update currently that will be available shortly. If more people express an interest, I could investigate this more.

Andrew Souter

Galbanum | sonic science aural allusion
2CAudio | convergent creative precision
http://www.galbanum.com | http://www.2caudio.com
Andrew,

I haven't had the time to check out your stuff, but I'm all for the idea of importing waveforms in MX4.

/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

this idea has me pumped, and also sadly missing my mx4, its on the MacPro in the closet at my folks house and I haven't played with it in 2 months :( .

bringing third party waves and better yet even samples into MX4 would be the next logical progression in the synths development and expansion, I really do actually miss MX4, without it I feel like I lost my right synth hand. I didn't want to risk losing the ilok while traveling around with my laptop.

I would also like to see MX4 get more filter types and options.
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60