DP & NLA VideoSlave 3 Setup

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP & NLA VideoSlave 3 Setup

Post by Scorer »

Hi guys,

posted this in another thread but thought I make this a separate thread.

I'm trying to use DP 9.12 (on Win 8.1 x64) with NLA VideoSlave 3 (on Mac).

I get the MTC sync to work, but the video jumps around in VS 3 - every few seconds it always jumps back to the beginning of the video. The sync button in VS 3 is also constantly flashing, it does not stay lit. Impossible to use it that way.

In DP 9.12, I used Setup > Transmit Sync to specify which MIDI network to use. I used rtpMIDI on Windows (to create a virtual MIDI network port) and the built-in MIDI on OSX to connect. The MIDI network connection works just fine.

Since the DP 9.12 connection is not working properly, I then tested the exact same MIDI network setup with PT 12 and the sync is perfect, MTC and also MMC works beautifully. The sync button in VS 3 is highlighted but does not flash. Everything works very smooth.

I've contacted Flo (VS developer) and he replied that he does not have direct details on the required DP setup configuration, but he confirmed that others are using it with DP.

Can anybody outline the correct setup in DP 9.12 to get MTC working over MIDI network with VS 3 ?

Thanks !
hotsizzlemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP & NLA VideoSlave 3 Setup

Post by hotsizzlemusic »

Scorer wrote:Hi guys,

posted this in another thread but thought I make this a separate thread.

I'm trying to use DP 9.12 (on Win 8.1 x64) with NLA VideoSlave 3 (on Mac).

I get the MTC sync to work, but the video jumps around in VS 3 - every few seconds it always jumps back to the beginning of the video. The sync button in VS 3 is also constantly flashing, it does not stay lit. Impossible to use it that way.

In DP 9.12, I used Setup > Transmit Sync to specify which MIDI network to use. I used rtpMIDI on Windows (to create a virtual MIDI network port) and the built-in MIDI on OSX to connect. The MIDI network connection works just fine.

Since the DP 9.12 connection is not working properly, I then tested the exact same MIDI network setup with PT 12 and the sync is perfect, MTC and also MMC works beautifully. The sync button in VS 3 is highlighted but does not flash. Everything works very smooth.

I've contacted Flo (VS developer) and he replied that he does not have direct details on the required DP setup configuration, but he confirmed that others are using it with DP.

Can anybody outline the correct setup in DP 9.12 to get MTC working over MIDI network with VS 3 ?

Thanks !

Ok, we're in the same boat - I figured out a few things. It cost a bit of money to fix though.

I had the same issue with the video jumping around (on same computer or hosted on another), luckily adding a black burst sync generator helped resolve this issue. Does your video card/hardware have a LTC input? Might me a good quick fix

As far as MMC, I couldn't get scrub to work like it does with PT12HD and Cubase. Found out you need a MOTU MIDI interface in order to access MMC out of DP. So, I got a hold of an express XT....and it works.....KIND OF.

After spending an hour on the phone over at MOTU, they confirmed that the MMC out of DP into Video Slave 3 half works. Meaning now I can move the wiper and when it stops the frame/video appears - at least thats better then before I had an XT (video wouldn't sync till I hit play). Problem is it still won't let me scrub back and forth and see picture. MOTU emailed me after to let me know they are aware of the issue and are looking into a fix for it - seems like its actually on MOTU's end and not Video Slave.

the rig used is a Mac Pro 5,1 12core 3.46ghz 128gb. Aja io express with blackmagic sync generator and avid hd io 16x16 as the interface.

good luck
frank
supersonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by supersonic »

It is for that reason that I stopped using video slave. The Scrub was too shaky. I like the immediate response that I have in DP. Does anyone know which video format is that one that is least CPU intensive to use in DP
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Scorer »

hotsizzlemusic wrote: Ok, we're in the same boat - I figured out a few things. It cost a bit of money to fix though.

I had the same issue with the video jumping around (on same computer or hosted on another), luckily adding a black burst sync generator helped resolve this issue. Does your video card/hardware have a LTC input? Might me a good quick fix

As far as MMC, I couldn't get scrub to work like it does with PT12HD and Cubase. Found out you need a MOTU MIDI interface in order to access MMC out of DP. So, I got a hold of an express XT....and it works.....KIND OF.

After spending an hour on the phone over at MOTU, they confirmed that the MMC out of DP into Video Slave 3 half works. Meaning now I can move the wiper and when it stops the frame/video appears - at least thats better then before I had an XT (video wouldn't sync till I hit play). Problem is it still won't let me scrub back and forth and see picture. MOTU emailed me after to let me know they are aware of the issue and are looking into a fix for it - seems like its actually on MOTU's end and not Video Slave.

the rig used is a Mac Pro 5,1 12core 3.46ghz 128gb. Aja io express with blackmagic sync generator and avid hd io 16x16 as the interface.

good luck
frank
Hi Frank,

it is for that reason (too much hassle with DP and VS3) that I opted for MTC VIDEO SLAVE. Running on the same machine as DP 9.1x. Zero issues. Works beautifully, very small footprint.

two notes:

(1) it does not do scrubbing, but I really don't care. nice to have, but not end of the world at all

(2) as paradox as this sounds, you may have a hard time contacting the devs and to pay for this app. but, it's cheap and gets you up and running in no time on same machine.
mircut
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by mircut »

Wondering if anyone on this forum has found Video Slave 3 upated to work better with DP? Last post in August 2017 suggested MTC Video Slave works better but is a bit of a hassle to purchase as it's overseas and not set up for credit cards....I have latest DP 9.52. thanks!
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

I tried and failed with DP and VS back in 2013 (VS1 I believe). I guess these issues are still not resolved?

I too am seeking a reliable alternative to hosting video on my main Mac Pro. I'm thinking about getting a dedicated Mac Mini for video. Last time I tried running VS (on my Macbook Pro, synching to my Mac Pro), I had the jumping picture issue. Unworkable...

thanks!
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.
Chris T

Post by Chris T »

Just got this reply from Flo at Video Slave re. VS / DP compatibility:

"Video Slave 2 and also 3 have been very reliable for a large number of users ever since.
As far as I can tell, it’s still a MOTU problem with DP not being able to send MMC properly.

Synced playback alone with MTC should work just fine in DP but MMC (used for scrubbing) probably still won’t. MOTU sent me instructions a while back to test that out with DP but they didn’t work for MMC. I asked back and never got an answer.

Hard to say if things have changed in the meantime.
Sorry I can’t tell you more at this point."
Main SYS: 12-Core New Mac Pro (Dec 2013), 64GB RAM, OS10.10, Apollo Quad Interface, 3xSSD work/sound drives in TB Enclosure, UAD Plugs, DP, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2nd SYS: Intel 8-Core Mac Pro (2007), 28GB RAM, OS10.7, MOTU PCI 424, 2408 interfaces (4), DP8.07, VE PRO, All NI, All Spectrasonics, many libraries, VIs etc.
2 Mac Minis (2011): Dual Quad, 16GB RAM running VE Pro, various libraries in Kontakt, G-Player, UVI.