Moving to DP from Nuendo?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
santamorphic
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Moving to DP from Nuendo?

Post by santamorphic »

Hi -

I'm interested in moving to DP from Nuendo, primarily because of the multiple sequences capability in DP.

However, there are a number of things in Nuendo that I am concerned might not be handled in DP.

Could anyone please help with answering whether there are the following capabilities in DP on Windows?, or ways around them in some way...

1. Offline export of stems (whether by export of buses or by freezing groups?)
2. Using multiple stereo plugin instances on surround buses and routing appropriately so that they process LR, LsRs, C, LFE?
3. Batch export of cycle markers (range markers), or batch export of chunks?

I've had a look in DP8 and can't figure out how to do the above.

Thanks!
Robert Randolph
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Moving to DP from Nuendo?

Post by Robert Randolph »

1. Each stem has to be done/setup manually, no batch export. However, you can freeze auxes and bounce specific busses to disk, so this may be do-able for you depending on how you structure your project.

(edited because I accidentally deleted information trying to restructure a sentence)

2. I don't know, sorry.

3. No batch export of markers or chunks.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
santamorphic

Post by santamorphic »

Many thanks Robert! I'll typically set up an aux per stem in advance, so that should be fine. Is freezing a realtime or an offline process in DP?
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

santamorphic wrote:Many thanks Robert! I'll typically set up an aux per stem in advance, so that should be fine. Is freezing a realtime or an offline process in DP?
Freeze is not realtime. You can bounce a specific bus to disk, which is faster than realtime.

For some reason I thought I wrote that you can also bounce the bus to disk :sorry: , but I didn't. That is definitely an option.
santamorphic

Post by santamorphic »

Thanks Robert.

From your input and some more research it seems I can't move to DP from Nuendo because...

+ DP doesn't support surround VSTs on Windows
+ DP doesn't support stereo VSTs on a surround track

I'd work around the lack of batch offline export in DP, but I can't live with the lack of surround VST support, even for the gains of chunks.

Thanks again.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a bummer about the surround thing. I don't use surround, but I just did a test.

I opened the bundles window and created a 5.1 surround bus and a 5.1 surround output. I then took a VI track (it's an AU plugin) and assigned it to a stereo bus that is part of the 5.1 bus set. I.e., the surround bus is bus 1-6, the surround outs are outs 3-8. I assigned the VI to busses 1-2 and they appeared in the surround track's input meters.

It's weird that this would be missing in the Windows version.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
santamorphic

Post by santamorphic »

Thanks Jon.

I can get that to work. And pan appropriately.

But I can't find a way to use surround or stereo VST insert effects on a 5.1 track. The only inserts available are the stock MOTU MAS ones.

I know I have surround VST effects (Waves, Flux, Audioease,...) but they just don't show up when trying to insert a plugin on a 5.1 track.

And in order to use stereo plugins on a 5.1 track (where a vendor doesn't make surround plugins, e.g. UAD) the only way I can think of is to do this...

+ Set up a 5.1 aux track and mute it - call it DEAD
+ Output your MUSIC 5.1 track with surround sound on it to this DEAD aux
+ Set up another 5.1 aux track - call it SUMMER
+ Set up 3 stereo auxes that output to SUMMER aux (panned appropriately for LR, LsRs, C+LFE pairs)
+ Set up 3 sends from your MUSIC 5.1 track, one to each of the stereo auxes
+ Insert stereo plugins on the stereo auxes
+ SUMMER aux has the 5.1 result

Bit of a pain.

Cheers Jon.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ugh. Yea. That's not so workable. Oooph.

Perhaps that'll need to go on the DP feature request list. I.e., allow 3rd party surround VI's and FX plugs to be used as inserts on surround tracks. Pretty simple.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com