Sound design and mix in DP

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
bleach30
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sound design and mix in DP

Post by bleach30 »

Hey guys I just wanted to share my workflow for doing sound design and mix on a short film with DP. I'm sure i'm not the only one to have done it this way, and it may not be the best way, but it was cool, interesting and fun.

https://youtu.be/KUiKYG4hw0o
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Sound design and mix in DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks for posting. One thing I do differently in a large project is to bounce the individual cues and import them into a new sequences I call my MASTER SEQUENCE. Using song mode is ok, but not as flexible as dragging soundbites around. I can experiment more freely and not worry about screwing up my original tracks. When final transfer time comes, I can bounce the MASTER SEQUENCE as needed.

One note: some people NEVER use bounce to disk, claiming "it doesn't work." That is simply not true. It works great. Where it sometimes fails for me at times is in those instances when I am bouncing a highly scripted or sample heavy VI and the VI can't keep up with the high-speed bounce. And frankly, most often this is in 3rd party sounds for Kontakt, not from MachFive 3 or Vienna, etc.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

This is great. Thanks for posting it. I often forget about Song Mode. I usually just build everything in one big master sequence, keeping things organized in folders and busses from the start, but I might try this method. It'd be especially useful if more than one person was working on a project.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Hey dix thanks. Yes I've done it that way too but with large track counts at mix time I found it easier to do it this way especially in regards to doing sound design where I have to create things from scratch which can be a lot of extra processing,tracks and different routing. I also found it easier to focus on the particular job like dialogue editing or cutting backgrounds etc.. without being in "mix mode" mentally.
But, I am of course speaking only for myself and what really matters isn't how you get there but what it sounds like in the end.

Hey MIDI Life, I agree with you in how you work and I would do the same thing if I were writing music. Your workflow would be/is easier in the regard. But here I was talking about mixing the film itself so everything I get is locked to picture already. I do believe it would be a bad idea to start dragging dialogue around..haha! I also have not had any (or rare) instances of Bounce to Disc not working right.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've done post with dialogue,SFX, & moosic [sic] and tried song mode. It works but moving music & fx is certainly easier for me in a master sequence. Both methods are equally valid, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

Yes agreed. Both get the job done.