Seeking Advice of DP Experts

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Seeking Advice of DP Experts

Post by stubbsonic »

Just be aware that CC data in a MIDI track is not necessarily considered to be "automation" in DP.

Think of it this way:

Sometimes CC data is used to control synth parameters on external synths. Sometimes it is used to control synth parameters on internal synths. Sometimes it is used to control the same things that Automation controls.

You may find that turning off automation won't turn off CC's controlling synth params.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Scorer »

stubbsonic wrote:Just be aware that CC data in a MIDI track is not necessarily considered to be "automation" in DP.

Think of it this way:

Sometimes CC data is used to control synth parameters on external synths. Sometimes it is used to control synth parameters on internal synths. Sometimes it is used to control the same things that Automation controls.

You may find that turning off automation won't turn of CC's controlling synth params.
ah, this is great info... and this makes absolute sense!

also, while this slowly sits in with me... if using separate MIDI tracks for CC data shaping, one could easily create various versions of a CC adjustment and quickly A/B switch between them...

keep the workflow tips coming please !

Thanks !
jazzylee77
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by jazzylee77 »

When I was a purely MIDI performer I had an initialization sequence I would send to all instruments and MIDI router at the start of each project.

Something like this can be done in a template for DP as well.

I'm not sure if I want to go to all that trouble, especially at this point where I'm still getting a grip on what to include in my template and what my work flow will be. I'm thinking ideally controller 7 would be preset and I will be constantly using CC2 on all breath or bow instruments that have crossfades for different volume samples.

I AM sure it is one of things that if you just keep caring about it and working on it, you will find your best system.
DP8 - Windows 10 - i7 4ghz - 32 GB RAM - All Internal SSD harmonica with only one broken reed, lava lamp, cordless drill