Replacing soundtrack on video

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Replacing soundtrack on video

Post by nick danger »

I ran sound for a live show of a Kinks cover band a couple of years ago. I also did a multitrack recording of the show. There was also a video made of this show, but done completely independently of what I did.

I now have a .m4v copy of that video, and I'd like to replace the existing audio with my mixes. I'm a total newbie to working with video on DP (currently using 8.07.) Anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed (and not to proceed?) Any links to discussions here that might be useful?

thanks in advance for any advice.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
Saintmatthew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Replacing soundtrack on video

Post by Saintmatthew »

Without syncing to some sort of common time code, it'll be tough to keep in 100% sync throughout.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I don't agree with the first response. You don't need time code at all to do this.

Import your video. Import the audio track from the movie to DP (ctl or right click in the movie window to get the dropdown to do that).

Import your preferred audio into DP.

Since it's the same source material, you should be able to visually line up the two audio files pretty close. Use your ears to fine tune it. If you have several files to line up put them in different tracks.

Once it's all lined up, mute or delete the track from the video. Work your magic with your file(s) and make necessary edits and fades/cross fades.

When you're happy with it, "select all." Under the FILE menu select BOUNCE TO DISK and select MOVIE as the export format.

Be sure the audio from the original movie is deleted or muted!

If you need to convert the movie format after that, iSkysoft has a great app for that.

Done.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
nick danger
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by nick danger »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try.

This doesn't need to be broadcast quality, so if it's not perfectly synced, not a big deal. Heck, on most of what I watch on DirectTV and other cable-type outlets, the picture and sound are horribly out-of-sync.
iMac 2.66 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 8 gb ram running 10.11.6; 17" Macbook Pro 8,3, 2.5 GHz Core I7, 16 GB ram running 10.13.6; DP 8.07; 8pre-es; 828mkII; 828mkI; microbook II, Behringer ADA8000, Black Lion Auteur 2-Ch. Pre-Amp
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

The out of sync on broadcast material is often a problem where the visual and the audio arrive at slightly different times. Sometimes it's bad editing.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
lampfilmusic

Post by lampfilmusic »

You could do this simply in software such as Quicktime Pro, or using the free MPeg Streamclip from squared5 dot com