Video sync since 9.02

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Saintmatthew
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Video sync since 9.02

Post by Saintmatthew »

Anyone notice video issues using external firewire video boxes since 9.02. I was having massive sec issues. Also massive spikes. Rolled back to 9.00 and it's significantly better. Not sure what happened. I noticed new options like a specific option for my Pyro Box in addition to Apple Firewire options but I kept the same settings as I have a bunch of chunks with movies.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Video sync since 9.02

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not sure which os you're on but FireWire is not a good choice for video any more, especially via tb to fw cables. It "should" work but my point by is support on the front will be waning. If you can update or use usb3, HDMI, or TB in the future you might ultimately be better off. Maybe fw is not prioritized in the OS? Not sure if that's even a reasonable assumption. Clearing cache files might help. Isn't there a way to zap video RAM?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

I did all my tricks - restart, zap pram, etc. Mainly thought of this as it the processor meter was spiking something fierce. Nothing doing. The oddest part was it pretty much kept sync until it hit a tempo change in the conductor track. The video would kinda loop when it hit one and then fall behind, playing noticeably slower. I should also note this was only on the screen from the FW box. Not the movie window on the monitor (it mirrors the FW output). After that, in a moment of desperation to make sure I wasn't going crazy and it hadn't been doing this since upgrading,I downloaded the original DP 9.00 installer from the site and ran the install. Didn't even restart or anything after running it. After install and checking the splash screen to make sure it did indeed roll back to 9.00 I waited and ....no spikes. Video ran fine. Everything works. Not sure what is up. I know there was talk with a video bug with one of the incremental patches but that it got addressed in a day or so. Thing was, I had checked before roll back and there were no new updates. I'm running fine now, but kinda freaked out and hesitant to go back to 9.02. Def not until this show is over this weekend.
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's certainly something you want to show MOTU support. Post a Tech Link — they may already know.

FW, however, is going away. Since Intel never really supported it, priority is pretty low at Apple and developers are paying less attention. My 828mkII still works but I no longer have any other FW peripherals connected—too many problems including not waking up from inactivity.

PCI cards for usb3 and HDMI are inexpensive. I use both usb2 and HDMI monitors with my iMac and performance is quite good with either.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro