Control Surface For Digital Performer Advice Required

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
aprael
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Control Surface For Digital Performer Advice Required

Post by aprael »

All:

Need advice on mixing control surfaces for Digital Performer. For years I have been mixing my DP projects down via my trusty Soundcraft Ghost/Toft ATB either to DAT, Masterlink or directly into DP. My automation steps have mostly been done via pointer tool and reshape mode with old school hands on desk for mix down. Lately my projects have become more complex and mix intensive so I am looking into SSL Nucleus and Avid S3. Given Motu's history with Euphonix has somehow fallen off the face of the earth most likely due to the purchase by Avid (For obvious reasons), I am a bit wary of going towards this desk however the specifications look excellent. The stated support of the SSL for DP along with Two SuperAnalogue SSL Preamps to compliment my existing pre's are a plus. My mixes are staying more and more in the DP world however the tactile feel and physical nature is important. Just can't do much of the creative nature of mixing with a mouse click. I'm sure you understand.

Any and all suggestions gladly taken.

Thanks in advance
A.G
MOTU Digital Performer 11 / Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, and 32-core Neural Engine/ macOS Ventura/ 128 GB RAM / Event B.A.S/ Genelec 8020c - 7050B 7.1 setup/ MOTU 896HD and 896 MK3/MTP AV/MTP EXPRESS/Roland TD-50 -boxes of cables/socks missing mate MOTU user since Performer V2.0 and yes, I still miss Unisyn!
Michael Canavan

Re: Control Surface For Digital Performer Advice Required

Post by Michael Canavan »

OK I know you said tactile feel, but I think the Raven MTi2 is going to beat everything else for mixing and automation needs for quite some time. Drawing/fixing automation by hand instead of mouse is alone worth it, and literally no one complains about the touch screen for mixing.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
djwizprod

Post by djwizprod »

The Tascam DM-4800 and or the Tascam DM-3200, although both are digital mixing consoles, they are also very powerful mixing controllers. We've been using them for a a number of years now flawlessly, and they're just amazing. Cannot beat them for the price. Even if you don't utilize the real mixer functionality they're still more cost effective than most. However, the routing and full on console features are second to none. The digital I/O is fantastic.

Oh, and the 4800 has been discontinued, so you can get that for a steal now. Plus it looks great in a studio, not a huge footprint, but impressive to clients.
MacPro8core28GB~OS108.5~DP9.1
PT10~MACH5~Symphonic~Reason~Symphobia~NIKOMPLETE~StormDrum2+3~EWSilver
MiniCore2duo2GB~VirtualVTR~TASCAMDM4800surround~2408MkIII~WAVESBroadcast/Surround360/NPP/VoxRider/GEQ/L316~UAD2DuoPCIe+Satellite~1176/LA2A/PulteqPro/Fairchild/SSLBuss/Lexicon224/Dreamverb
IzotopeRX5/Ozone7/StutterEdit
UA6176~U87~TLM103~AKG414~MKH416~MKH50~DPA4011Apair/COS11D~QuickTime7Pro/FinalCutProX/MackieHR824/624/HRS120~TelosZephyrXstreamISDN~SourceConnectPro
http://www.ozonesound.com
aprael

Post by aprael »

Thanks I will look into both to add to the comparison.
MOTU Digital Performer 11 / Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, and 32-core Neural Engine/ macOS Ventura/ 128 GB RAM / Event B.A.S/ Genelec 8020c - 7050B 7.1 setup/ MOTU 896HD and 896 MK3/MTP AV/MTP EXPRESS/Roland TD-50 -boxes of cables/socks missing mate MOTU user since Performer V2.0 and yes, I still miss Unisyn!
crescentoon55
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by crescentoon55 »

You could get a Mackie control.. It works well with DP and I found one on ebay for 225.00...
wonder

Post by wonder »

I'm trying to resurrect this topic .. as I'm in the market and NAMM is a week away.

Anyone have any Control Surfaces they LOVE?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Raven! and Eucon McMix if I want real faders. But the more I use Raven, the less I car about physical faders
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
pneron

Post by pneron »

I use 3 old MOTU control surfaces along with my old Mackie d8b...full automation at both ends of my DAW chain
DP11, Genelec 8341, MacStudio, Quantum, 2x Faderport16.
LegacyDAW: Amiga2000 3xAD516 SunRize cards